Doubling Trumpet and Horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, Nov 16, 2009.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My orchestra is doing much less demanding stuff now than it used to and often it plays things that have no trumpet parts but multiple horn parts that we don't have the players for. I have dusted off my old horn and been doing some practising with the aim of playing one of the lower horn parts as necessary. I also thought it might open up some more playing opportunities like wind ensembles.

I wonder if anyone else is doing serious doubling and how it affects their trumpet playing in the long term. Until now I have only ever dabbled in horn a couple of times a year for my own enjoyment. I have only ever known two people who doubled trumpet and horn, one of whom is a professional horn player and teacher at the royal academy in London. I have emailed him for any advice about switching, but maybe someone here does this.

This is where I am up to with the horn, mainly concentrating on getting a nice tone and trying to play in tune. I don't think I will ever be up to fast runs or very loud playing, but as long as I am good enough for one of the lower horn parts I will be happy.

YouTube - Tchaikovsky Symphony no 5 horn solo

2. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    I say go for it! I doubled on Trumpet and French Horn in my High School orchestra and really enjoyed it. And it's always quite eye-opening to play a different instrument in the ensemble.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 15 years I played Trumpet in an amateur Big band and French horn in a community orchestra, the only problems were in the early days when changing from one to other was with the fingers, playing trumpet with horn fingering and vice versa and the occasional forays into bass clef.

It is great fun.

Regards, Stuart.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If I were to do it I would have to have one with a screw on bell. I couldn't walk with the case hitting my knee every step.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

:shock: in tune? nice tone? on a horn? :cool:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Gordon,
    here is something posted in Ed Carroll's forum.

In addition to his astounding trumpet career, Mr. Guerrier has been named Principal Horn with the Orchestra National de France under the direction of Kurt Masur.

http://www.TrumpetMaster.com/vb/f146/guerriers-haydn-48269.html

I guess there is no issue if one is talented enough............

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Gordon,
    here is something posted in Ed Carroll's forum.

In addition to his astounding trumpet career, Mr. Guerrier has been named Principal Horn with the Orchestra National de France under the direction of Kurt Masur.

http://www.TrumpetMaster.com/vb/f146/guerriers-haydn-48269.html

I guess there is no issue if one is talented enough............

8. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Lots of players double, and double very well. A woman I know, Roxanne, plays solo Eb tenor (aka alto) horn in the Saskatoon brass band and has gorgeous sound and technique. She also plays sax. Lots of Eb tenor horn players, because of the range, play Horn and tenor horn. And . . . a lot of Horn players double on oboe, for some odd reason, possibly because of chamber music usefulness. I play all brass and have done so since I was a teenager, and I am far from unique. Off the top of my head I could list maybe fifty players I know personally who double.

When I was in university many years ago, in Class Brass the guys who got the nicest tone on trumpet (who weren't trumpet players) were all Horn players, except for one trombone player.

Being a mostly-upper-lip player who uses a large mouthpiece on trumpet, my person opinion is that Horn playing can only do you good on the trumpet. Think of it as an advantage!