Doubtin yourself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Iamtrpt, May 16, 2005.

1. Iamtrpt

Iamtrpt New Friend

May 16, 2005
    Mr. Laureano,

Huge Huge Fan of yours man! Love the Alpine! But to get to the point to why I'm postin' here is have you ever doubted yourself? I wanna play trumpet forever, but I don't know if I would be successful at it in the professional world. I just recently switched from a private school with an amazing orchestra/ band program to this piece of crap high school which doesn't even have a JAZZ BAND! This is like to fourth tier of high schools. I mean come on! But to the point...

You went to Julliard. Throughout that time when you decided to play trumpet for a livin did you ever doubt that you could make it? Do you know others who've ever doubted themselves?

Thanks,
    I am Trumpet

I'm kinda new to this. Is this kind of like a Dear Abby for trumpet? And if it is, very cool man.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Iam,

Yes, this is a place for people to ask questions that the administators have kindly provided for me. I'm fortunate enough to have had many wonderful experiences playing the greatest music in the world. I have been exposed to the greatest teachers and greatest artists in the world. I would say that that is reason enough to share that information with as many people as a forum like this can provide. You're part of a new generation of trumpeters that has to have access to the old ways so no one ever forgets the way it was.

That introduction serves as part of the answer to your question. Yes, I have had down times as a student and as a pro. There have been times when I wished that Orchestra hall had a rear exit but my only way out is past the very same people I may have felt I disappointed.

I've been in situations where I couldn't believe my good fortune at being surrounded by terrific players that inspired me to excel. Other times I was in places that were downright embarrassing. Interestingly, I never felt that way at the time. It was only in retrospect that I have felt that. You see, I have a respect for pretty much anyone who can get a sound out of a trumpet, much less play with artistry. I always felt like there was something to learn out of virtually every situation I was placed in. I think my father was the one who instilled that in me.

I never doubted I could make it because I wasn't trying to make anything when I was a kid! I just wanted to play. I wanted to be a NYC police officer. No joke. That's what I wanted to be. I loved playing trumpet and I wanted to be a good cop. By the time I got to be a senior saw something different that lay in my future, so, I got very serious and auditioned for a great school and got in.

Disappointments are part of the life of any musician, construction worker, soldier, or insurance salesman. Your love for music is not to be determined by your situations. It's determined by what music does for you inside. No one who truly loves music will let that change because of circumstance.

My advice is to not worry about the future or you will live your life worrying about the past. This is the time to just enjoy becoming better and let life unveil itself. If you're destined to be a trumpeter you will be if you study, work, listen to the best players you have available to you.

Finally, not to sound maudlin but you really have to love it. Music through the trumpet has to affect you. It has to motivate you to want to play and play well. When you're playing, nothing else should matter but you and the tune you're playing.

Welcome to TM, Iam.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Thanks for being, yet again, a tremendous source of inspiration. I have taken your quote and used it as my band room quote of the week. (I put a quote of the week on the board above the rehearsal plan...everyone sees it). Thanks again.