Downstream and Arch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Nov 10, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Well the band practice before last somehow I got my tounge working a bit in this way and it make playing louder and higher a bit easier, but I lost it and couldn't figure out how to do it again so I will have to experiment more with it.

*I found a good website that someone posted a link to about the -pivot system- and it had 8 different tongue styles for how to use it. Do you think I should be trying some specific tongue techniques like this or just keep experimenting on my own?*

I also found a way to curl in my bottom lip a certian way today to make it just a bit easier in the same way too. What I really hope to do though is get to working a lot on my breathing/breath support though, (and while I'm at it maybe try working up to doing a lot of crunches/stomach excercises.) Hopefully this can help me get improving to where I don't feel as much stress with playing and don't keep resorting to big playing changes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I tend to think you should give it a try. It works for me. I strongly recommend you read the texts in the books I mentioned previously. Also, doing those exercises will get things working for you.

Good luck.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    For those of you who think this is some new method of tonguing , you should read the text on tonguing in Clarke's book of "Characteristic Studies".

4. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, so you want to anchor tongue. That's different. I anchor tongue from high C up, but can't do it successfully lower than that.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What ever works for you, it took me a while, but I start at G above the staff, although when slurring from low to high my tongue does anchor right after the initial attack ,no matter how low I start.

6. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So then did you both also have to learn to apply the tounge arch after you had already learned how to play and were on your way with it? Or did you start with it?

And do either or you play downstream?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I learned to use the tongue arch and anchor tonguing in high school, by accident. I was afraid to tell anyone what I was doing because I thought they'd tell me I was doing something wrong and make me quit. In college I learned it was fairly common. I started playing out of Chas Colin's Advanced Lip Flex and read his explanation and then my playing greatly improved.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I all ways arched my tongue, but didn't anchor it until I was much older,25. I am a down stream player,and had to make a change in the way I was using my lower jaw, once I did this I gained more than an octave on my range, I went from a 3rd or 4th player to either playing lead or scream parts, the tongue anchor just fell into place on it's own above high C.

9. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok thanks. I'm definitely going to be expirimenting and looking up a lot of togue related things now. I'll also take a look at that book :-)

10. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Al,

What do you change with your jaw?