Dr. Appointment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I had my appointment today, and It went great. I had a ton of wax build up inside my ear. Just a heads up for all of you. DO NOT USE CUE TIPS ON YOUR EARS. All they do is pack down ear wax into your inner ear drum, and if the wax gets stuck, it can lead to dephness in one ear, or both. The fix for me was a little painful at first, because I couldn't get into a doctors office for almost 5 months. The wax started to age and harden, so First they had to scrape that stuff out, which was stuck on my ear drum. That was VERY VERY painful. After that, they did what was called irregation, where they squirt a mix of warm water and hydrogen peroxide into my ear to get all the remaining ear wax out. It was amazing being able to hear again. THe first thing I did was go home and play my horn again. I have alot of ground to make up... alot, but I think it will come quickly. I'm starting over with soft playing, and all the stuff I should have started with when I started playing. I'm hoping all of this will come alot faster to me, and that I will start creating better habits. I'm starting to play standing up every once in awhile, as I'm more of a jazz player. I'm gonna start getting alot of opinions on here too, and keep my ears clean :D.

One thing I must say though, only being able to hear from one ear really helped my singing ability. I started singing alot when My ear went out, and I noticed I could sing much more in tune since I could hear my voice so well inside my head. Just a side note

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Patric, have you ever noticed singers cupping their hand over one ear - this has the same effect you describe and allows the singer to hear themselves rather than the band (or the out of tune sod beside them) - it's sort of like an "organic foldback'.

Our band director has had us standing for some time now - the band has morphed from a Concert Band into a Stage Band with a Swing, Jazz, and Latin mix - my practice is now done standing and I have found that my body-centering, breathing, and general relaxation whilst playing has improved - and the stress is down, as is my blood pressure. Small steps sometimes give large advances.:thumbsup:

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    YEah, I started doing after I saw a clinic that Maynard did on youtube. He said that when you stand, you should plant your feet into the ground, and kind of use that as your "energy" source. Draw the energy from the ground, to your feet, through your legs, and up your body. I'll post a link of that clinic.

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson 1977 clinic

Its pretty interesting, definatley not the best clinic ever... but interesting

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Yeah that clinic is pretty interesting. I watched it a few days ago and learned a lot from it! Is that the only clinic on Youtube? When I was looking for clinics Maynard did, I only found one, and it was that one.

5. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I wore the foam ear plugs for years at work. They also drive dirt and wax into the ear. My ears began to itch after scuba diving. After the dirt plugs were washed out of my ears I could hear my clothes rustle. I heard things I had not in a long time.

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yeah, its amazing how much you can hear. And Yes Bach, that is the only Clinic of Maynard on youtube, I believer there are some other ones, REALLY good ones from Claude Gordon. A whole series of them.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is amazing how wax can build up inside our ears, and amazing the results after they are cleaned out. There are some over-the-counter systems that work very well, and are a good investment for every musician. Glad to hear that you can hear again!

8. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog New Friend

Feb 19, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    most everyone thinks that a que tip is what you're supposed to use but it is just like packing wadding into a shotgun. A cheap blue rubber syringe from any drugstore is all you need to watch the junk pour out of your ears once a week.