Dr. Richard Burkart

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Still Trying, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    How many of you posters on here had the privilege of studying with Dr. Burkart? I studied with him years ago, when he was still teaching in Texas. A few days ago I ran him down in Columbus, Ohio, and spoke to him for the first time in almost 40 years. Since retiring, he is playing with a really excellent traditional jazz band called the "Toll House Jazz Band". I understand he still makes guest appearances as a soloist with symphonies and other Classical groups from time to time. He's in his seventies now, and sounds as good as he did when I studied with him years ago. He is really an inspiration to listen to. He makes every note sound totally effortless, completely centered, and beautiful.

The first time I heard him play I was about 12 or 13 years old. He became my sound model on the spot. And low these many years later, I have still never heard any one produce a more beautiful sound on a trumpet. So I was wondering on a web based forum like this, is there anyone else out there that ever had the opportunity to study with Dr. Burkart?