Drain-O

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GuitarPlayer05, May 18, 2009.

1. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Can I put drain-o through my trumpet to clean it out? would this help or hurt? I would of course flush it througholy after doing this if I can do it.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    No!

If it doesn't damage the horn, it most certainly will damage your health.

If your trumpet needs that heavy a cleaning, better take it to tech for a chemical wash with people who know what they are doing to prevent damage to the horn and rinse properly to prevent damage to you.

Couldn't you let your trumpet soak in a bathtub in a dish detergent and use a snake first?

Draino is for toliets and drains, not for trumpets! It is far too caustic and dangerous
    to brass and humans in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    No. Bad for you and the horn.

4. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    There is a right tool for every job.

Draino is not the right tool for this job.

5. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    I suggest finding your local brass repair shop and get a chem clean. Good for the trumpet, it will be handled right, and won't be bad for you!!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends what is in your horn. If you need to remove from the horn things that Drain-O was designed for, then go for it. I have never run into ANYBODY that has played that bad however....................................

7. jackboyko

jackboyko New Friend

May 17, 2006
    Hi,If your horn needs that much cleaning, yes take it to a horn repair shop. For general cleaning and killing germs, mix mouthwash and warm water and run it through the pipes a few times then rinse with clean water. This will not dammage the metal, and the horn will smell fresh. Jack Boyko

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Nice one Jack.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    No Drano! CLR or "The Works" works fine for heavier cleaning of a really dirty horn. You just follow directions for water/cleaner ratio, dis-assemble horn in tub, on a towel. Leave in for 15 minutes. Make sure it covers the horn, than flush repeatedly and dry. Pistons should go in a drinking glass of water/cleaner, up to the top of the piston itself, not touching corks or felts. Take them out after several minutes, rinse thoroughly and dry. I have used this with good results on several old horns after purchase.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Drano (and other clog removers) are extremely corrosive. Draino is basically sodium hydroxide, which is a very strong base.

I can't image what it might do to your horn. But that's a secondary issue. What's worse is what it can do to you. It will burn your skin if you touch it. It will damage your lungs if you inhale it. If it splashes into your eye, you likely will go blind immediately.