Drain-O

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GuitarPlayer05, May 18, 2009.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    DO NOT USE DRAIN-O ON YOUR TRUMPET.

It will attack the brass. It also reacts with water, and creates heat; this may affect the lacquer/plate. It is not good for you either.

Use warm soapy water, and a snake.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    NO NO DRAIN-O!:duh: I can send you my paper on trpt. cleaning. Just e mail me.

3. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Don't worry guys, I wasn't really planning on using it. A group of us at the college I attend are cleaning all of the school horns for a service project and while in the aisle for mild dish soap we ran into the Drain-O and it made me think, Drain-O cleans out brass pipes, what would it do to the inside of a trumpet? Thought I'd see what the response was. Thank you all for confirming that it shouldn't be used.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    GuitarPlayer,

Don't suspect you would use ACETONE to clean your guitars either. Would damage your guitar finish and if the rags caught fire it might finish you, too. ;-)

'Gotta have safe cleaning products and methods for all musical instruments, ay?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Service project in college...you would not happen to be a member of Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity?

Check with my son who is at Purdue and a ChemE major regarding Drain-O...his answer, 'definately NOT!'. It has several chemical reactions when water is added, one being heat transfer that will damage the finish of the horn and possibly effect the joints.

Use the CLR Method that I posted in a previous thread. Works wonders.