dramatic brass/trumpet sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Oct 25, 2006.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Folks,

How do you do a "dramatic" sound? Yesyerday I was rehearsing some Verdi Ouverture with the orchestra and the conductor was requiring all the time a more dramatic sound...the dynamic mark was only f so increasing the volume did not help much...Do you change your articulation or something else somehow in such cases....The usual comments from conductors are something like biger, or more centered, louder, sfter, darker, lighter etc. But this was the first time I got such a comment. So, what would you do?

2. dedalus78

dedalus78 New Friend

Apr 4, 2006
    Which Verdi Overture? For something like the Force of Destiny overture, I would say you need to be firm and crisp with your articulation and extreme with your dynamics. More explosive note beginnings will help the drama. I would also advise an 'operatic' vibrato in the lyrical solo at the start of the piece.
    Good luck.
    TW

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ask yourself: what creates drama? Boldness? Excitement? How can you (stylistically) incorporate these ideas into your playing?

What, to you, is a drammatic piece of music? Why? How does that differ from one that is say, more humourous? How do the sounds of these pieces differ?

There is no one easy answer for this one, as far as I can see. It's imagining a concept; much like an actor putting him/herself into character.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I would think adding a little extra "punch" and clarity to the notes would get the effect the conductor desires.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes the conductor is really wanting an "uglier" sound -- at any given moment in an overture you might be the villian, the hero or the girl.

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    More front and more zing would do it.

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    In that context I would take drama as meaning contrast. That could mean more contrast( bordering on exaggeration) in terms of dynamics and articulations among other things as it relates to the musical character you are after.

8. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Geeze is that ever an open-ended comment. Strictly speaking, when people ask for drama, they're usually after an exhaggeration of the highs and lows and in-betweens. More edge where it's called for, more body when it's called for, more...flair.

But what does that mean and is that what this guy wants? Who knows. I have a feeling if you knew exactly the sound you were after, you wouldn't need help describing it, because you'd automatically start playing it.

9. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    The easiest way for a brass section to give a conductor more drama is to really play into the harmony. Identify the points of tension and lean into them, relaxing into the releases. If this is done cooperatively as a brass section, then the piece is dramatic. It's not teh easiest thing in the world, but it's much more effective than a subtle stylistic change, and it's something we should always try to do anyway.

Stuart

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Conductors are always saying junk like that when then can't describe what they want. The conductor is waiting for you to to figure it out and then claim credit by saying "That's what I was looking for."