dropped a valve on the wood floor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRgroove, May 30, 2015.

1. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Sorry! I was so upset while typing I didn't realize I posted this in the Trumpet discussion. I don't know how to delete it. Perhaps a moderator can move it or delete it.

2012 Jupiter 846 flugelhorn. About 20 minutes ago I dropped the #2 valve on the wood floor. Now it will not slide into the casing. I've gotten a bit fumble fingered in my old age but I've never dropped a valve before. I'm not sure what the remedy is in this situation.
    I'm very sad right now. The 846 has been my favorite horn.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

RELAX RELAX RELAX
    There is a neat tool shaped like a sleeve that a tech slides over the boinked valve, and then they tap tap tap on the outside of the cylinder. Like magic it reconforms!
    Relax. All is not lost.

And, should this neat trick work, it will not even cost much. It's good that it was wood instead of concrete it clattered upon. Much more forgiving on a microscopic level to the finish.

PLEASE do not force it at all.
    And PLEASE do not fret.

Or, you could sell ME the flugelhorn and I'll get it fixed....

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    4 words Go to a Repairsman
    And 1 more word Relax

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Worst case scenario, you have to buy a new valve and lap it in. Hopefully, your tech has the capabilities to fix this as the other gents suggested (me too).

5. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
  6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
  7. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I'm like a wounded fish surrounded by hungry sharks :shock:
    There is also some kind odd issue with valve #3. It has a rub? mark on the valve. I will try to post a picture. This is actually how I dropped the #2 valve in the first place. I was looking closely at all the valves.
    I bought this horn from Music 123 I'm not sure but I think it was some kind of demo horn. I have not played this horn all that much. Perhaps 20 hours. There has always been an intermit sluggish rise on the valves but mostly only while playing. It's kind of like there needs to be air pressure from playing for the valves to get the sluggish rise? I'm new to valve instruments and their idiosyncrasies. I'm not sure how else to describe what happens. (I played a Holton Superbone when I was young. The valves were never sluggish with it)
    I'm unclear if the local horn guy can work with these valve issues or not. I would actually prefer to send the horn to a known Super Star horn tech. Any suggestions? (I will ask this question in another thread if appropriate)

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ivan Hunter, Jaeger Trumpets. Excellent. He's on here as TrumpetsPlus. I'm sending some of my stuff to him.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    By the way. Chomp Chomp Chomp.

10. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Here is the #3 valve I mentioned. What's up with the rub mark? (I didn't realize how dirty the valve was until I saw this picture)

[​IMG]