dropping off instrument for repair with no case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by christineka, Sep 15, 2013.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    It's the bugle. It has a loose brace. I have to run my horn to the repair shop tomorrow, so I thought I may as well get the bugle done at the same time. I had thought to just take the cornet out of the gig bag and put the bugle in it. That won't work since my son's going to take the cornet to band. Unless... I have the cornet case, but it's stinky- really, really stinky. So stinky that I've kept it in the shed and garage for years. (It was too stinky for my house.) I really don't want to make my son use it, especially for his first week at band. Can I drop off the bugle at the shop without a case? Or is there some other brilliant thing I can do?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I see horns turned in often without a case. case is better, but without is fine too.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sorry - it is a pain to deal with a repair when it has no case. Especially this time of year when shelves are still packed with back to school/college horns. Cases will stack and can be moved around easily. No case; the slightest knock causes a dent. One shop I worked would refuse all repairs with no case.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would ask your repair guy and see what he says.

Tom

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Put the bugle in the stinky cornet case.

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Also check with the shop when you drop it off - see if they have any used, but serviceable cases they would be willing to sell. A good whiff or two of the stinky case might convince them that a quick sale would be better than having that stinky case putrifying the air quality at the shop.

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Call ahead, tell your shop exactly what you posted here. If its just a loose brace, maybe they'll do it while you wait...that of course is up to the shop. But, if it was me, I'd rather just do it and get it out the door than have to deal with a loose horn in my shop.

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Even a sturdy cardboard box would be better than nothing. But there are some sturdy and very inexpensive cases available these days. My most recent two restorations, both shipped without case per the restorer's instructions, came back to me in cheap plastic cases (well-packed inside and out, though).

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just droped off my flugelhorn for a repair, and asked my tech if he would like the case left. He said it was up to me, but he has a rack he hangs his horns on that keep them out of the way and protected until I pick it up at the end of the week. I will drop it of and transport it home however in the case.

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Some shops want the case, others don't--and some can't make up their mind. I always transport in a case, but leave or don't leave it depending on the shop's reference. I have a couple of cheap plastic cases that are used for that very purpose--no sense risking a pristine early Elkhart Bach case or a period Old's Recording case.