dropping off instrument for repair with no case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by christineka, Sep 15, 2013.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I picked up a Holton Revelation Llewellyn model Saturday in the saddest case you ever saw. I drove it directly to the shop and they refused the case. It was full of Brown Recluse carcasses (but no live spiders that I could tell). The guy I got it from said his father-in-law was an antique dealer who held onto the horn for years thinking it was something special.

Upon reflection I think some of the damage to the horn was it geting squezed while in the case (brace was pushed into the bell). I'm hoping it comes out OK.

2. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I took it in and the repair guy said nothing about a case. He was impressed with the quality of my bugle. Guess I scored a good one from ebay :) (It's not dented at all.) I saw a bunch of brass instruments hanging on the wall, so I'd guess that'll be where my bugle ends up. My horn is on it's second shop in two weeks. Hoping this guy actually fixes what I asked for. (I think the last guy just put oil all over the horn.)

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's pretty funny...

4. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Why is your case stinky? Mildew smell or something else... I bought an old used trumpet from a pawn shop once that smelled horrible, like someone had left it out in a shed for years... I was tempted to toss the case but decided instead to see if anything could get the smell out... I simply sprayed it until it was wet with febreeze and then left it outside open in the sun for a day... the smells went away... you might consider trying that with your case... I wouldn't want to leave a horn with no case as I would be worried it might come back with the brace soldiered but something else dented.

5. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    I don't know, but I did try fabreeze and leaving it out in the sun. I also tried dumping an entire box of baking soda in the case, leaving out in the sun, and vacuuming. It still stunk a horrid stench.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Some one posted on here regarding a link to an ozone generator. Quit a reasonable price. You should check it out as that seems to do the trick on ALL cases.

Check out post #40 in the following link: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/old-cases-nasty-oil-tips-cleaning-72831-4.html

7. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks! I picked up the bugle (and my horn) today. It's not been dented or scratched :) The repair guy even shined a bit of it to show how truly beautiful he could make the instrument for $50 more. I would love to have a shiny bugle, but can't afford it right now. He gave me a recommendation for brass polish that I can do myself, but his machine would work even better. Someday...

8. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A tube of Simichrome (available at most antique stores), a cloth, and a little elbow grease will shine it up in no time. Pretty easy to do if you want it shiny.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Is Brasso passé these days?

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes. Simichrome (or MAAS) works better, is less abrasive, and leaves a protective coating to inhibit tarnishing.