Drum and Bugle corps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by memorax700, Jul 28, 2008.

1. memorax700

memorax700 New Friend

Feb 16, 2008
    Central Pa
    Am I like the only person on the TM the love D&BC, cause I haven't seen any talk about it on here...... I love the marching arts, one of my fav. activities on the planet.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I love DCI... I'm a huge Cadets fan... I make it up to Allentown, Pa every year for Semi-finals.

3. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    hate it

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    "The marching arts." now there is a phrase I thought I would never see or hear.

I like DCI indoors in an air conditioned stadium.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have been a fan ever since I saw a competition way back in 62 in Minneapolis at the VFW national convention, where the big show was for many years. I played in the National band from Lansing, Mi for many years.
    Very exciting. We have never had much hear in Michigan in home grown corps, but have a fine show each year here in Kalamazoo, which I saw on July 5. Have many tapes from when the DCI was shown was shown in its entirety on PBS. Too bad what has happened to it these days.

I favor the midwest corps, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Scouts, Glassmen, Colts, Bluecoats, most of which I saw this year.

There have been threads on DCI off and on. Maybe the last one on Maynard Ferguson forum, can't recall.:-)

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I am an old time DCI fan . I attended last years finals in Pasadena. Great show and tons of fun ! I have to admit, that I have seen less shows over the past decade than I would prefer, but I still think DCI is a great youth organization. And for fellow TM'ers that have never seen a show in person. Give it a listen. I think you'll find that there are no other bands that perform at such a high level as DCI does.

Go Blue Devils ! bw_logo.gif

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  7. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    My chops of steel are because of Drum Corps! I marched my first summer when I was in grade 7(some 30 years ago) By grade 8 I was playing my first double g's! There is so much work involved and as a rule you are dealing with some great technicians as far as learning brass is concerned (ie. Blue Devils) I think other than building great chops the most important thing I learned was the entertainment part. Showmanship is so important when I perform. I suppose the sad part is that the Drum Corps movement is not as strong as it once was(in part because of monster budgets needed to run these groups and our youths' diverse interests and/or distractions)

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    That's true for all types of marching bands. Especially with all of the
    schools that have slashed or done away with music programs.
    It's an unfortunate sign of the times.

9. memorax700

memorax700 New Friend

Feb 16, 2008
    Central Pa
    im prolly tryin out for The Cadets next year, or Jersey Surf

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Not in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Marching band contests are a big deal. A band director can make a career turning out winning marching bands.