Drum and Bugle corps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by memorax700, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    At my old high school, the directors focused on the symphonic bands rather than the marching band. The marching band was good but the focus was always on the symphonic side. I liked it that way. And because of that they and the band always had a reputation as one of the best bands around. But I do like drum corps. I hope to do it next year. I wish I had have done it earlier but it is expensive and time consuming. I think the experience will be worth it though.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gunther Schuller maintained that America produces world-class brass players out of sheer numbers--those that survive marching band and drum and bugle corps come out at the top of the brass player's food chain.

I agree that my experiences were priceless, but burn-out is a real possibility, and a degree of sensibility goes a long, long way.

The dividing line between "doing your all" and "self-sacrifice" is a fine one.

Please don't sacrifice yourself on the altar of "higher-louder-faster:" otherwise you feed the machine. Please use your experience as just that, a "been there, done that" and seek all the other music that is out there.

Please.

3. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    You're not alone. I love Drum Corps as well. I marched for 5 years including lead in the Madison Scouts for a year. I don't get to as many shows as I would like anymore though.

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I secretly love drum corps, but don't tell anyone, lol. I just watched some shows on youtube, but its just not the same as being 50 feet from the field and feeling the sheer power. Its awesome!

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I marched one season with The Crossmen back in high school. It was a good time but, while I still have two seasons of eligibility before I age-out, I'm at a point in my life now where I need to MAKE money during the summer rather than spend it. I love the activity, however, and I highly recommend anyone see a live show if there is one in your area. You won't regret it!

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I was thinking about joining a corps, but It is not where my heart is. I am not sure where my heart is really as far as music goes, but I love music. I want to get better at jazz, but I find my self practicing all classical... This is mostly because classical is formalized.

Also, I end up doing alot of composing. Which I enjoy alot. The more I compose the less jazz I get to...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I considered doing DCI right after I graduated from high school. My school has always had a strong reputation for marching band and symphonic band, and to a lesser extent, jazz band. DCI was always talked about among band members, and so it seemed natural for the really good players to want to be in a drum corps. I have three main reasons why I didn't do it:

1. Time commitment - I didn't want to spend my entire summer on a bus or on a field. I wanted to practice my heart out this summer, so there was a conflict of interest. Also, I couldn't continue studying with my private teacher, who is an incredible person that I want to get the most out of before I leave for school.

2. Monetary reasons - I had two choices, basically, spend a bunch of money on drum corps or make a bunch of money at home. I doubt my parents would have helped with paying for drum corps anyway. I had been saving up my money for ITG in Banff, and I was not going to sacrifice that experience for any corps.

3. Lifestyle compromise - I know what the "policies" of drum corps are, but I also know what really happens, because I've talked to so many people who have been in drum corps. Sleeping on a bus with a bunch of people and boozing out after performances for three months is not for me. Sorry.

So there you have it, that's why I'm not going to do corps. I don't think it's necessary to do corps to become a great trumpet player, but it certainly has its pros. Dr. Ramon Vasquez at Auburn University is a very big proponent of DCI, and he has some great ideas.

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    The way it seems is...

if you can find a good DCI you join it...

also as mchs3d said.... boozing it up after performances just isn't me. I am one of those people who likes to stay sober so I can still have full use of my great brain which I have cultivated to have a great sense of sarcasm. (eg. I enjoy being sober at all times) and I dont htink I could sleep on a bus or afford it...

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I don't know how old you are from your post, Bockhaus. But, 45 years ago I saw the Madison Scouts perform at the municipal stadium in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They were a force of nature. The crowd thought they won. The judges didn't. After the show the Madison Scouts blew off steam by putting on a show in the parking lot for the departing crowd. I think we stayed for over an hour. (I had no idea how much my father liked marching and music.) What a legacy? It was a performance I think of whenever some one mentions DCI.

Over and out.

10. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    stchasking,
    45 years ago is a bit before I marched. I was with the Scouts in '78. DCI finals were in Mile High Stadium that year. I remember Maynard stopped briefly to listen to our horn line. After the show, the director of the Santa Clara Vanguard stopped over and congratulated us on a great show. He felt we walked away with it. We finished 4th with the Vanguard winning it all. Go figure. That still has to be one of my favorite summers ever. My chops were probably at their peak that year as well.