Drum and Bugle Corps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YamaMan, May 15, 2009.

1. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    I have a question concerning drum and bugle corps... What kinds of trumpets/bugles do they use? The only valved bugles I've seen are the Kanstul ones. I know that they don't all use the same instruments, but I'm curious as to what some of the more common instruments are. What do the Cavaliers use? Thanks for any info!

Joey

2. gonzo479

gonzo479 New Friend

May 9, 2009
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    Some Corps use DEG or Dynasty. Carolina Crown Uses Yamaha, I also believe The Cavaliers use Yamaha horns. The Whole bugle thing kind of went out the window especially with the World Class corps. It pretty much is trumpets now

3. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    All of the finalist corps (heck, these days I don't know of anyone who doesn't use modern trumpets) use trumpets. The models used by fellow finalists through open class are Yamaha (Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, SCV, Crossmen, etc) King (Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment up till this year) Dynasty (Blue Devils, Glassmen)

Those are the major horn providers for the top 12.

To specifically address your question on the Cavaliers, they use Yamaha Xenos, model 8445 last I saw.

YamaMan likes this.
  4. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

5. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    No problem :) Let me know if you need anything else

6. trpteddrumaner12

trpteddrumaner12 New Friend

Jun 29, 2009
    Brooklyn MI
    Ive heard that the "corps style" horns are heavier then regualr trumpets. is this true and why?:huh:

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I dont tkink so, just your normal horn. The Colts of Dubuque use Xenos, 8335"s. I bought one of their retired, reconditioned trumpets and am Very Happy with it. Best Wishes.

8. jmoney422

jmoney422 New Friend

Jul 19, 2010
    Lancaster, California
    Theres really no such things as "corps" style horns, they're "marching brass" horns because of their ability to make a noticeable presence on the field in sound sound, and their popularity with marching performers and orginizations. Good Luck.

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I'm afraid I don't know what type of trumpet or bugle todays corps are using, but I do know I miss the sound the corps of old produced. At least the songs had some kind of melody that you could understand. Maybe I'm old fashioned, (played with The Amboy Dukes, and St. Lucy's Cadets in the 60's) but those old rotary horns sure pleased many fans.

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Drum corps uses regular trumpets now??????
    Does this mean they have to keep the third valve depressed?
    Back in my days with the corps (Blue Devils 1980-81) we made do with just 2 valves. ;)
    All kidding aside , even those old 2 valve bugles were not true bugles in the strictest sense. I wish when I was in the corps we were allowed to use real trumpets .