Drum Corps Auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BowmaninBb, Jul 8, 2013.

1. BowmaninBb

BowmaninBb New Friend

May 4, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    So, I decided that I'm going to audition for two or three drum corps this fall. I'm going to audition for The Blue Devils and Carolina Crown (yes, I know it's a long shot since I'm not even sixteen yet and I have no drum corps experience). However, if those two don't work out, I'm pretty sure I'll make it into The Spirit of Atlanta or Phantom Regiment. I received a callback from The Academy this year;but, I could not pursue it since I had already made commitments in band. While, watching some live broadcasts on dcifannetwork.org, I realized that marching drum corps is my dream. So, this year I have decided to get ahead of the game and start practicing what I can for drum corps auditions. I'm going to do a video audition for each corps since I live in Florida. On top of the audition material they provide you, they want you to prepare a technical and lyrical piece that each run for about two to three minutes. From what I've fooled around with in Arban's and other solo literature, I think I've found what I am capable of performing. For the lyrical piece I picked the introduction to Fantaisie Brillante and for the technical piece I decided on performing the second variation (Var.II) of Fantaisie Brillante. So, the POINT here is, do you think that these selections are impressive enough for a spot in the trumpet section? The main reason I selected these is because they are fun for me to play. Thanks for your time! :-)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I don't want to burst your bubble but a requirement of Blue Devils is you have to be a vet, unless they contact you.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Go for it!!

4. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I am jealous!!! I wish that I had taken advantage of opportunities to march DCI back in my marching glory days. It is one of the big regrets that i have from the old days! I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you have a great audition and an awesome time with your corps.

I was wondering if you are auditioning on a Bb horn? I know DCI horn lines once used G-pitched bugles (with 2 valves). Are those still the standard, or am I dating myself?

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    2 valves horns didn't go away that long ago - think it is 12 years since last approved for Open?

6. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Yeah... 2v horns were outdated about 1990.... G horns since 2000.... He'll be on a Bb horn :)

Going even further, if he makes Devils he'll play a King System Blue trumpet, any of those others I believe he will play a Yamaha Xeno.

Best of luck, those are TOUGH corps to make it into. Stay open to EVERY corps if you are really wanting to march next year and keep us posted!

Bwanabas, its not to late. The Brigadiers are in Syracuse, an all age corps always looking for players :)

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well technically Brigadiers don't march -- but they dress the part and play the music!! I've got a friend that plays tuba - hey check it out!!!

Syracuse Brigadiers Alumni

8. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Yeah, I've been looking into the Brigs. I did check out their site and am going to be getting in touch most likely. I am a teacher, so I have summers free and start classes after Labor Day. The perfect work schedule to accommodate a DCA corps schedule! I was looking at the Empire Statesmen site also. I am only a bit more than an hour from Rochester. Bring back those glory days!!!

9. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Hurry!! Empire won't be fielding next year :(

To march in NY next year you'll be looking at the Sunrisers or White Sabers, and MAYBE the Skyliners coming back to the field!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you might want to try Mighty St. Joes (in LeRoy) -- they march also --- my Friend Alan is one of the trombone players there!! he let me play a Marching trom/baritone at a parade several weeks ago --- man I love the valved instruments.

Mighty St. Joe's Alumni Corps

ps. sorry OP for not giving you the due attention of your post ----- but the interesting thing here is ---- it looks like you are helping DCA in recruiting, as 2 or more people are all of a sudden interested in the Corps ---- and that ain't a bad thing!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013