Drum Corps, Gloves and Guards....Help Please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer1989, Oct 22, 2012.

1. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA
    I joined a drum and bugle corps last year and had a blast. The other trumpet players wore gloves for our rehearsals outside and kept telling me to wear a pair as well. I instead got a guard for my valve casing since they were concerned with my hands creating marks and what not on the corps horns. I had never used a guard on my own horn and never had any wear marks from my hands (I believe I don't have a high acidic sweat or whatever you call it). I don't want the tan lines from wearing the gloves like the other trumpet players (the tan lines would look very weird when walking in for a job interview (I'm a music teacher still looking for a full time job). I had no wear marks from this past season with the corps horn (I wiped it down after every practice and cleaned it every other week). The section leader told me that the guard doesn't protect the horn because parts of my hands still touch the horn. Any ideas of how to further 'protect' the horn without having to wear gloves for rehearsals outside? :-?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Just wear gloves part of the way. The glove tan lines don't matter for an interview.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Wear the gloves. I've interviewed hundreds of job seekers in my career and tanning habits are not a factor. If someone were to actually notice and bring it up, I would have my doubts about the job, the work climate and the person conducting the interview.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Interviewers like people who have an actual life outside of work. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tom

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey Bob, I think trumpetplayer1989 is perfect for the job! Bill, did you see those tan lines!!!??? Wow, no, I missed that. Phew, good thing you're here. That would have been disastrous! It would have violated our "No tan line" policy! Of course I'm being facetious. Everyone knows there are laws to protect against "tan line discrimination" (TLD) in hiring practices.

It's not your horn. They have asked you to wear the gloves. Valve guards do more damage than good (but they look "cool"). Just wear the gloves. [​IMG]

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I now have a great pair of white gloves that I always wear when sounding Taps, whether such be with U.S. Regulation bugle or Bb trumpet. Matches the solemn decorem of the funeral. Pall bearers often wear them also and some of theirs are disposable (into the grave).

7. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Ive seen some videos with guys in the cavaliers that wear their gloves folded up their hands half way up their hand