Drum Corps, good or bad????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer03, Mar 27, 2011.

1. trumpetplayer03

trumpetplayer03 New Friend

Mar 27, 2011
    I am a Freshman in college (music major)
    my junior summer in high school I earned a lead spot with the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps...
    A day before tour started I decided to leave the Corps because my chops were taking a turn for the worse, my embouchure was changing and my fundamentals/tone was changing as well. (in a bad way)
    Now that I am in college, I have continued to dream of one day doing Drum Corps, but I don't / shouldn't have to sacrifice myself as a player to do so...
    I plan on auditioning for Phantom Regiment this fall, a brass staff member whom helps out with Phantom Regiment is Michael Martin whom has recently earned a spot with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and also used to march with Phantom Regiment.

Does anyone think that this is a good choice to follow through with? my college professor told me that if theres a Drum corps that knows how to take care of its players, it would be Phantom Regiment.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

You're really the only one that can answer the question.

Drum corps fans will say to go for it, those who have never done it or have a negative impression will say don't.

If you're set on doing it then maybe you should go for a 2nd or 3rd position. Less pressure.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I met a baratone player who played with the Blue Devil's and it seemed to be one of the best experiences in his life...
    I hated playing in marching band/D&B Corps ... the horn bouncing around.. the fidelity.. all of it ...
    so +1 with gbdeamer

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Chris Martin, the principal trumpet of the Chicago Symphony, was also an alumn in the Vanguards Drum Corp. He is all for it. Helped him athletically, in breathing, and lots of aspects of his playing. Probably not classical music, but hey...

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Phantom and the music they do along with their style of playing would make sense. Some of the others who go out and just blast and play high may not be such a good answer.

6. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think its one of those things where there is no definite answer. If you learn to do it correctly I think it would be a good experience and lots of fun. But if you resort to using pressure as a crutch and don't learn to keep the horn still, I think it would have bad influences on your playing. I also think PR would be the best one get into. If you watch videos of them during rehearsals and warming up on Youtube you can tell they take the music part of it seriously, unlike some other corps.

7. trumpetplayer03

trumpetplayer03 New Friend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, I suppose all the answers are right. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and go to their audition camp as well as blue devils since their brass line is also very good, talk with the staff and see how it goes, I'm more than sure they have encountered questions like the ones I have so they will probably be able to help me out. thanks alot for the help everyone. I mean its better than not playing all summer, well as long as I remind myself of fundamentals everyday, ill just pack some trumpet studies like clark, stamp and arbans to work from.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Have you tried contacting anyone from these corps? They might be open to answering your questions over email, or maybe they could hook you up with a member you can correspond with.

9. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    If you don't take your marching fundamentals as seriously as your playing fundamentals drum corps can really mess you up. It sounds like that's what happened to you the first time -you didn't work on marching and so you had to change how you played to compensate for the bounce and strain of moving and playing. Thus the loss of tone and endurance. If you haven't done any more marching since then, you're setting yourself up to go through the same thing again unless you get quality instruction in MARCHING fundamentals and technique.

Marching fundamentals are the bedrock on which successful drum corps musicians are built. Without them, nothing else matters. You can be the best player int he world standing still, if you haven't learned how to do the same while moving you'll not only sound like garbage, but you'll screw up your face in the process. If you develop your marching fundamentals to the point that you don't have to compromise your playing technique to make the performance happen, you'll come out of the summer a stronger player.

Phantom knows what they are doing from both a marching and a playing standpoint, but even so, if you don't already have good marching fundamentals and have fears of negatively impacting "legit" opportunities, you should think long and hard about going through with it. It certainly doesn't hurt to go to a camp or two and see how things go (and get some insight into what you need to work on marching-wise), but I will say again that if you are not willing to invest a significant amount of time (at least an hour a week or more) to building up a strong base of marching technique you'll be setting yourself up for trouble once the summer starts.

Scatmanblues