Drumcorps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Bernard 2

Bernard 2 New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Hello,

This is my first post. I find the forum to be very interesting.

The Racine Kilties now have a senior drum and bugle corp. It was started about 10 years ago. I marched with the Madison Scouts in 79, 80, and 81. At present I play trumpet in my Church music ensemble.

Peace

2. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Flugelgirl, I always had the same attitude about dum corps. as you. I was playing just about every weekend over the summer at age 14 or 15 and I just couldn't see giving up that money, and having to pay for a tour. Looking back on it though, I wish I would have done at least one summer. Everyone I know that came from a drum corps. background had steel chops. I often wonder if I would have gotten them too. Oh well.
    Bob

3. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    I personally feel that without marching band and Corps programs there would be less "trumpet masters" around today.

A significant portion of the most valued experiences I've had in my life thus far were where my time was donated. In fact most things of real value in life don't have a paycheck attached to them.

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Drum Corps discussion is better left to the marchers.
    If you know alot about music, doesn't mean you know anything about corps.

Just saying, alot of opinions are thrown out in here from people who have never set foot at FINALS!!!

5. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    yeeeeah, I made that mistake on the forum and realizing that. However I am going to tryout as soon as possible (depends on the job market) Though ive learned if youve never marched like me, just give your opinions of shows is the best thing. :cool:

6. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Speaking of finals,

How was it in the dome this last year. Made it to Indy for the prior year before they went to the new stadium, but just couldn't get myself up for watching in an echo chamber this last season.

I'm hoping the reverberation in that stadium isn't as bad as I imagine it might be, especially since it's going to be there for so many years now. I miss them being in Madison. :(

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    The Dome was a very comfortable finals spot. The only problem is you have to drive from the lots to finals instead of walk. Logistics fixed this in a heart beat though.

The temperature was good so we didn't have to tune indoors before the show. Echo was there but not as bad as the other domes. Crowd was amazing, you could feel the energy before you even entered the field. The top box was really high though, about broke my back during our balad hit.

Very nice place and I can't wait to return to it.

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Even giving you opinions on shows can be dangerous. Remember to keep in mind the DCI is about pushing the limits. The Blue Devils are very good at that, the more conterversal the better. Shows are not longer about pleasing the crowd anymore unfortuantly. That's why Spirit made "history" last year but having a crowd pleasure show. We placed 17th because the show was "not understandable", but some how chair mean 1930? (Blue Devils). We got an standing ovation, and there wasn't another one until Boston got on the field (doesn't that say something). :dontknow:

9. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yeah, im a big traditionalist in that I dont like props, voice, guitars, synthesizers, etc. I see where yall were inovative this year as the BD's Personally I only liked the jazz stuff toward the end. You guys had a whole lot of power, which we all stood up for at the m'boro show. Its just that alot of us here in murfreesboro didnt like alot ofstuff this year. but loud is always very much welcomed
    :play::play::play::play::play::play::play::play::play::play:

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Drum corps is about more than finals of course. At least I assume it still is today. Back in my day, there were class A corps (think Open Class today) that were scrappy young corps trying to make their way - I was in such a corps - placed third in Class A finals my last year. That was it's own experience, and just getting to attend open class (World Class today) finals was an awesome experience.

The whole experience - while I complained about lots of things at the time, are some of my fondest memories.

Even my first year when we missed class A finals - we had the awesome experience of watching prelims for the big corps. In that day, there were an awful lot of awesome corps that never made finals - and it was great to see these corps perform that I otherwise would have missed.

Now, obviously the ultimate experience would have been to march finals - but I never did that. Funny thing. My instructor also was an instructor at Santa Clara, and we flat out asked him if we (me and a couple freinds) could have made the corps, and he said yes, but we never thought about jumping ship. That might have changed if we got close to 21, but that's another matter.

Point is, there was something to be said for marching at whatever level. You experienced some of this last year - you didn't make finals, but I bet you still had one heck of an experience.