Drums Corps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, May 22, 2005.

1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    ?????

Call it what you may... All of these bad habits from Drum Corps have hampered my life.. Especially the stroking of my ego at the age of 16 was a bad thing for ones confidence and moral... :?: :?: :?:

I guess I really don't know what you have against Drum Corps and being that your a band director that puzzles me... :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Once my High School Band director let go of his ego and hired a Drum Corps staff we as a High School Marching Band began to win State Championships(Class B)... When that happend the entire moral of the school as well as the town went to hell in a hand basket.... There was a parade for our accomplishment and New York State made a special sign that was posted as you pull into town honoring our achievements!!!

Completely stumped at your reactions but hey what are forum's for?

To each his own...

I hope you cheer up at some point and lose the negative vibe!!!

BTW: I did see the other comment you made before you retracted it!

BTW: Leave Jesus out it! Don't make it one of those threads..

Tony G

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Re: ?????

I have nothing against drum corp. per say, what bothers me is your attitude. I asked if you were serious in your comments, and you replied by being rude, disrespectful, and sarcastic.

As for my first comment that I later edited, I am glad you saw it, because that what drum corp. really is.

I still haven’t heard you make one comment that would lead me to think of drum corp. as musically fulfilling.

Why do you keep talking about habits in your life as some sort of justification for drum corps? That is the point I am trying to make here, but you seem to miss. I am far from negative here, or upset but your comments are extremely asinine.

I will ask you again, how is drum corp. musically fulfilling? And please don’t tell me about your shoes this time.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something else that I thought I would mention is that the subject of drum corps is usually a subject that has a wide range of opinions from "aboslutely love it, there is nothing greater" to "absolutely hate it, there is nothing worse and it is the anti-music".

Personally, I think that there are both good things and not so good things when it comes to drum corps and the music they play, but again, from all of the things that I have heard in the many stories that I have been told, playing in drum corps was always less about the music and more about the total experience: the music, the shows, the bus rides, the gym floors, the good and bad times shared by all, the friends, the dates, the successes, the failures, and the comraderie that was built during those shared experiences.

Comraderie is an iteresting thing. For those who have played sports with a bunch of friends, you can find it there. I still have very fond memories of the last summer I played baseball prior to leaving for the Army. I also found that comraderie during my days in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. It is an elusive, intangible thing that I have not experienced since I got out of the Army in 1999 and I miss it.

Andrew, I don't know if any of what we have posted in this thread has helped you to come to a decision, but I honestly believe that if you go and march with this drum corps, you will find your niche in the group, and you will have a wonderful time, and more than likely the concerns that you had regarding your chops will be unfounded.

Keep us posted! :D

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    :D now we are talking! ;-)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey now! I said that was "an" opinion, not "my" opinion. :D

I had the opportunity to march with the Omaha Railmen back in the late 80s. They sent me a recruitment flyer, but I didn't do it for two reasons.

1.) I didn't really have the money for it - at that point in my life I was NOT good at saving money and it was going to cost something like $300 or $500 to do it, and I didn't think my parents would go for it.

2.) I figured that if I was going to march DCI corps, I wanted it to be with a top 12 corps. None of them sent me any recruitment flyers and due to reason #1, I simply didn't pursue it.

I wish that I had sucked it up and marched with the Railmen. They might not have been that good, but I'll bet it would have been a good time.

6. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Spell it out!

I guess I missed the point that I had to spell out the musical benefits!

1. Playing with 60 other horn players spread out sometimes over 70-80 yards in tune and together.

2. Articulate together.

3. Decresendo together.

4. Cresendo together.

5. Attack together.

6. Release together.

7. Blend together.

8. Phrasing.

9. Unbelievable endurance and so on...

As for my a&^%$#@*&e comments, again your opinion is well noted and apparently music and ones character really don't matter when combined...

It this case it did for me as well as many other people around here and in the professional world...

I guess I have to assume you've never done Drum Corps so I can understand how it would be baffling to see how all of these benefits help in some degree shape ones life both musically and aaahhh - well you know the rest...

I'm out!

Good luck!

Oh yeah,

10. How to channel energy in the right direction - Judging by today I may have failed this part!

Tony G

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Re: Spell it out!

yep , that is all about music, i guess i was wrong.

I bet Chris Martin is sitting in the CSO right now thinking "Dang, if only I wouldnt have aged out".

:roll:

And for the record character does matter, but not as a justification for music or music education.

Go chill out man; it seems that I have gotten to you. Come back with a cool head and we can discuss some of the real underlined issues here.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Let's not get carried away into the Cage, folks.

My $.02: I marched for many years. From a personal perspective, I made many, many freinds. I've lost touch with most of them, but can remember all of them. We shared some very wild times on the road, as does any travelling organization of teen age and early twenty-somethings.

Self-discipline, tenacity, confidence, responsibility, teamwork, being part of a whole...all of these are absolutely necessary for success in ANY endeavor. When's the last time I performed for literally thousands? DCA in Hershey, PA in 1981. As a musician, I have called on these very skills in auditions, as a performer, and as a band director. Now that the table is turned and I am the director, I try to instill these very qualities in my students.

Musically, I was exposed to the music of Katchaturian, Copeland, Maynard Furgison, Chuck Mangione, John Williams, Stravinsky, Rhespighi, Bernstein, Britten, Holst, Beethoven, Gershwin and many others I can't think of by the time I was in 11th grade. I was listening to and appreciating and experienceing that music as a high school student. I was also playing it. From memory. I was exposed for the first time to performing asymmetric meter in drum corps...a drum feature in 7/8. It became so ingrained in me (the 7/8 groove) that I have no trouble with asymmetric meter.

Is it right to take something as magnificent as the Firebird Suite and chop it up into an 11 minute field show for an army of brass and a bazillion percussion instruments, some of which Stravinsky had no interaction with at the time it was written? Or to take the powerfully emotive Spartacus and do the same? Or the Planets? Or the Beethoven 9th? Or Concerto in F, American in Paris or Slaughter on 10th Ave? Probably not. It seems a bit like tearing apart a great painting and re-gluing it together in a different location with some parts missing and others added, witthout the painter's consent or knowledge. Did it get me engaged with it? Yes. In the end, it played a major role in my life; both personally and musically.

Musicianship has many, many sides. If you have the chance, do it. Your chops will recover after the season if you're smart; you might even gain a bit of endurance. Stay away from the "hacks"; there are many, and are easy to spot (anyone who asks you to sacrifice musicianship or play until you bleed and beyond or recommend extremely shallow mouthpieces and alot of pressure are good indicators that you may be dealing with a "hack"). You do not have to blow your brains out for 10 hours a day. You have 60 other musicians playing, too.[/code]

9. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, thanks guys. I've got some different perspectives...BTW, ALLCHOPS...I'll be praying for you...you're a smartalec. I hope drum corps didn't teach you that because if it did I wouldn't want to be a part of it after all.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that we are all in agreement that there are going to be differing opinions regarding this subject and I think that everything that has been posted thus far has been posted in a lighthearted manner.

Now to get back to brass tax and the questions of the author of the thread:

Q: I would like to know if you have to be able to blow you brains out to be a trumpet player in a Corps and be taken seriously.
    A: No, I don't think so. I think that if you have a decent grasp of basic fundamentals, you should be ok. Keep in mind, you are going to be putting A LOT of time in on the horn if you decide to do this and while some of the playing might require you to blow pretty hard and loud, I think that most people adapt to it pretty quickly.

Q: Also, I don't know what faithful followers of this site think about DCI/Drum Corps, but I have heard mixed reaction from many different people about it. Of course the people involved with it at anytime say it is awesome, but those who have not been seem to disagree with what they believe it teaches (i.e. If you can't squeal on 1st trumpet or play a mellophone lick so fast your head spins...your worthless). So, I would like to get an unbais answer from whomevery will listen, on this topic as well.
    A: Almost everyone I know has a bias on the subject of drum corps, and usually that bias is at the far end of the spectrum, depending on whether they like or dislike it. I have never seen much middle ground on this subject. The ones that like drum corps seem to love it, the ones that don't have almost no use for drum corps or marching and playing in general.

Like I said, I have never marched it, but everyone that I know that has marched with a DCI corps loved it, and they have a great time recounting their glory days from drum corps.

I worked with a few former DCI marchers while in the Army and I can tell you that none of them were bad players. I can also tell you that none of them were out and out chops monsters either. They were all, however, solid players although there were times with a couple of them that I couldn't believe that they marched in creme of the crop of the DCI Corps. (One of them was with Santa Clara Vanguard, 1989, another was with Star of Indiana in 92 or 93) I guess there must be something to be said for perfecting the same show for several months, although I realize that the shows at the end of the season can be very different from what they were at the start of the season.

I like tpter1's comments about being exposed (right or wrong) to so many different composers and genres of music.