Dry, chapped lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Jan 17, 2013.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Blistex for me. It moisturizes more than Chapstick and gets absorbed faster in my opinion.
    That being said, my wife runs a humidifier in winter and chapped lips are an OCCASIONAL problem only.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhhhh... THIS is a question for a pediatrician. Yes there is a difference. A cool mist causes soothing of small airways and leads to less turbulent flow of air through a narrowed epiglottis that we see in infants with croup. This is also the effect that cool air has in the winter months that croup typically attacks. The patients usually improve their cough on the way to the ER just by exposure to the cool air, return to home in the late hours of the morning, only to return back once more after the effect of the cool air exposure resolves.

I instruct my patients that they can generate a cool mist at home (if they don't have the machine) but filling a bath tube with HOT water, then running cold water from the shower jet into the tub of hot water. I also CAUTION that the parents keep their child guarded closely that the don't get too close to the tub that the fall into the hot water.

For any ER docs out there reading this... here is a nice way to keep those croupy infants from coming back to the ER after they were initially seen, evaluated and discharged to home, only to have that croupy cough rear it's ugly head. Upon discharge, I would give my infants a sub-cutaneous injection of sustained release epinephrine (Susphrine). They would NEVER return to the ER. A RCT needs to be done to prove this, but my standard is to give a racemic epi treatment (if the croup score dictates this) an IM dose of decadron, and Susphrine sub-q. There you have it... a little pediatric medicine here on TM.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Your check is in the mail

4. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    After trying several lip balms, Burt's bees works best for me and lots of water.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    There you go again....(licking dries them out faster,[German accent] her doK-Tor)

Lypsyl lip balm (original) with Swedish bee's wax (blond bees make better wax, unlike Burt's crappy Chinese bee's wax) makes all the others like rubbing monkey poop on your lips. They used to have it at Walgreens...surely can be found online.

6. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Any cosmetic product containing bee´s wax, shea butter or both should be fine
    to protect your lips against the cold. I can´t advise any specific products as I am located
    in Germany, I can only say such a lipstick works well when being outside, at the moment
    it is 14 degree Fahrenheit here - brrr.
    When I go inside and start to play the trumpet, I like to wipe that greasy coating off my lips
    though and take care I drink enough water.

Just my 2 cents

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Neutrogena makes a great lip balm in the Swiss Formula line. In a pinch you can use the hand cream in the same line. It's just a little thicker. They are both translucent, not creamy white.

Licking yiur lips makes it worse because the enzymes in yiur saliva start digesting the skin. Gross, right?

Anything you put on the outside of your skin is no substitute for putting water into your body.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Chop-Saver has worked well for years. It's pricey compared to some, like Chapstick classic, but it works better IMO. If I can't use that, Eucerin skin calming daily moisturizer or Aquaphor healing ointment just as I go to bed. I rarely have chapped lip problems and I work outside daily.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hydration from within is my choice, but I am a Carmex junky as part of a chemical warmdown after playing. The Salicylic Acid in it helps to dissolve the dead skin and it provides a nice tingle to the lips. The other part of the chemical warmdown includes aspirin and beer. A fun alternative (like after a four hour dance gig or playing, say,the Planets or Carmina Burana or a Philip Glass piece is to start with whiskey and notice how the lips burn. Then beer, Carmex and sleep.