Dry Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bek, Sep 5, 2011.

1. bek

bek New Friend

Aug 28, 2011
    After recovering from a bout of the common cold, I've noticed the skin around and of my lips is significantly dryer than it was before from breathing through my mouth while my nose was all stuffed up. This has made upper register playing extremely uncomfortable and my range has dropped from a fairly consistant double G (G above double C) to the G below it - I can still squeeze out a double C, but the tone and power is simply not there as it was before. I assume these problems will go away fairly soon as my skin regains its usual moisture, but until then my playing is going to be below my standards.
    Has anyone ever experienced a similar issue?
    If so, how did you deal with it?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Two words: Lip balm.

Mouth breathing will dry your lips, and having a fever won't help either. Use your tongue more often to moisten you lips, people tend to forget, that is one of the functions of the tongue. ALSO if you are taking an antihistamine, that will dry you out as well (...a med school saying I learned to remember the anticholenergic [which some antihistamines will have] side effects - can't see, can't pee, can't spit, can't shi... never mind that last one, not sure we can say that on TM).

Lip balm will keep the moisture in the tissue and will make it less susceptible to drying out. So bottom line, keep licking your lips, stop the anti-histamines, take Tylenol for the fever, and use lip balm. I think that about covers it [some pun intended].

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I think Reinhardt recommended A&D ointment as a supplement when necessary

4. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    A&D ointment (sorry for kinda stealing that, Jerry. I was going to say that but you beat me to it ROFL)
    DCT

Good luck!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, I answered this post -- and after 3 months the OP should have recovered -- yeah, I forgot to look at the date also -- Yeah , I am so bad.
    but a beeswax lip balm, and a product called Bag Balm do wonders for keeping lips supple, and pliable, and vibrating well

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I know this was posted a while back, but I wanted to send along my all time favorite, guaranteed to work solution. Heel Balm
    Yup, it's for feet BUT a bit on the lips when you go to bed at night and your lips will be almost brand new by morning. It's not too tasty, but won't hurt you and it really works.
    Dottie

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Licking your lips-terrible advice.

Lip balm-wonderful advice (and kind of obvious).

Thread necromancy-kind of lame, yet preferable to thread redundancy.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, not so fast Dear Brady-K! The Great Creator intended for just that. Way before the Creator greated lip balm producers (but after the creation of bee's wax), He knew the lips would be designed to protrude from the mouth (a design created for the highest evolved form of mankind - the trumpet player). However, in His parallel creation to give the trumpet player life, and a reason to wear cool sun glasses like Solar Bell when playing outdoor gigs, a slight envornmental hazard was also created... THE SUN! So the Great Creator designed into his evolved mankind the reflex and subconsious act of licking the lips to keep them moist. Yes, even as primitive in the evolutionary scale as they may be... even viola players lick their lips (probably as a result of trumpet envoy, but THAT is for another discussion).

So whether you care to admit it or not, Brad-K... YOU LICK YOUR LIPS and you don't even know you are doing it. If this thought of licking your own lips repulses you, than seek therapy my son, seek therapy. Otherwise you can do what I do on gigs and get the hottest blonde groupie in the audience to sit with you on breaks, and let her do the lip licking for you. Definately more enjoyable and if you are still functional after playing lead charts all night, ABLE to remember it such that her assistance is NOT so subliminal.

So bottom line: Licking lips is a required behavior of the human species and is designed into our involuntary nervous system to make it so; having it done by a blonde... that too goes toward assuring the evolution of the species. There you have it Brad-K, a medical and anthroplogical lecture all tied into the creation of the higest level of homosapiens: Homo trumpet playerkus. You can thank me when you ace your next physiology exam

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here Brad-K, let me cut to the chase of the good Doc, and narrow it down for you -- the quote was the best advice from the post ----- and if you can't find a blonde, or brunette -- good luck with the red heads (watch out that they down bite you - red heads have a mean streak) -- but in anycase, if you should somehow strike out ---then take the cherry flavored lip balm out of your trumpet case, apply it to your lips -- and well stick your tongue out --- and lick your lips --- after all they are protected by the lip balm anyhow -- so it can't hurt!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Lip balm. The kind I use is made from hemp and is, for some unknown reason, always on sale. It works extremely well for any sort of lip issues for me. That, and loose lip flapping, which helps keep them free of something (help me out here, Gmonady .... is it lactic acid?).

Turtle