Dry Cracking Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I have an audition for grad school at UNT on Sat. This weekend my lips got really dry and started peeling and cracking. I havent even really been able to play well today. Anyone know anything that could help. I have been using Blistex DCT the past couple of days with no results.
    JR

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Try either the blistex lip medic, blue container like the DCT, or blistex medicated, white tube of creme. These work pretty well.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    ChopSaver

4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    A thin layer of Crisco (shortening) - natural, absorbed by the skin - covered by a layer of vaseline - petroleum-based, waterproof - to seal it in. (Wipe it off before playing, whatever you do!)

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I can not imagine anything worse. Crisco and Vaseline? Why not just throw some 10W-30 on there for good measure?

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Why not? I use break-free CLP on my trumpet and cornet, AND my motorcycle chain.

Honestly, I've heard good reports about Burt's Bees products, they're costlier than chap-stick but may we worth a try.

I've had my lips in bad shape and getting compulsive about apply chap-stick fixed them up. Not overnight, but awfully fast. We're talking about applying compulsively. It does work - every 1/2 hour, or less, really.

7. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    If you are in real bad shape and you can find it, this is the best. My dentist gave me a tube of this a few years ago for when my chops were beat up and weathered.

TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE OINTMENT USP .01%

It is a topical steroid.
    A Color Atlas Of Orofacial Health ... - Google Book Search

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Try to drink more water too. And avoid forced air heating as much as possible.

9. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I vote for these. Chopsaver is good too, apply liberaly and often.

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    more water and chopsaver... it's great stuff. If you are outside alot, make sure to use something with a SPF...