Dry Cracking Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Naaa... If your gonna at all its gotta be 90w. The diff oil is the only stuff that really relenishes the chops.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm partial to Mobile 91 Arresting Gear Grease... :lol:

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Chopsaver is good stuff, I use it all the time. You can also try Vitamin E. I buy vitamin E Caplules and poke a hole in them. Just smear the gel on the lips. It helps.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    My mom used to use vitamin E when I got chicken pox or any other rash like that.

5. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007

Cod-liver oil would be worse but would probably work the same as Crisco - it's an animal (sort of) product and would be absorbed more readily than the petroleum-based motor oil. The idea is to add moisture to the skin before sealing it over with the vaseline to prevent evaporation. (Or would it be transpiration?)

Both products (shortening and vaseline) are cheap and readily available in most households (those having mothers, anyway) - no need to wait to go to the store or have a mail order filled. To improve the sensory properties of the shortening you could try adding a drop of pepperment/lemon/etc. flavoring to the Crisco.

Absolutely unsuitable for use in a high-school setting, of course.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I put on a ton of Chopsaver when I go to bed. It keeps me from waking up with chapped lips, and that's a lousey way to start a day of trumpet playing!

7. TheChef

TheChef New Friend

Feb 15, 2007
    I use either Burt's Bees (or any beeswax lip med) or DCT. DCT isn't that good, I've found, for really peeling lips. Try some beeswax.

8. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Neutrogena Lib Balm is the best in my experience. Readily absorbed into lips, not a coating like most wax. Also find that drinking alcohol in the winter time especially dries my chops out fast. Oxidized toothpastes can also dry the chops quickly, and should be used only in humid months.--HH

9. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I always carry a neutrogena stick and apply it even in moderate weather,
    prevention is better than cure...

10. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Chapstick.... or any other generic equivalent...?! Works for me.