Dry Cracking Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Vasalene is good for your lips as well as your trumpet slides.I been using the same jar for the last 10 year and never had a problem with the slides on my strad.I mostly use cococare cocoabutter for my lips because there is nothing in it to make my lips numb and also exfoliate them.

2. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Good grief - move to a better climate.

4. doc1947

doc1947 New Friend

Apr 6, 2008
    For cracking/chapped lips: Emu Oil.... its a lubricant and an anti-inflammatory. A "natural " product and not a steroid; A small bottle lasts forever.
    Triamcinolone is a cortico-STEROID and may actually thin the lips over time (multiple uses) and should be used ONLY for a rare, acute condition.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Emu Oil, or Goanna Oil, both from the Land Down Under - note the climate (I don't even own an overcoat). Seriously, regular repetitive repetitive repetitive applications of Chap Stick or Lip Eze are the go for me.

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I know everyone says ChopSaver, but I'm going to have to say it too. I have to keep some sort of balm on my lips, especially at night, in colder weather, or my lips are definintely not up for trumpet playing. But when I use Chopsaver, it clears right up. Burt's Bees are also good, but they are my second choice.

7. deepthought4200

deepthought4200 New Friend

Jun 20, 2008
    I tried a bunch of different lip balms (including ChopSaver) before settling on Burt's Bees–the normal kind, not the medicated one or anything. I find that putting on a decent amount after playing for a while helps my lips recover faster; its really great stuff.

8. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Oh my god I for one can't play with nice lips like you guys I need my lips to always be dry so that you can like literally touch the skin and it'll feel like a rectangle at some parts. Every time I articulate I always have to wipe my mouth its so frustrating.. But I guess that's the disadvantage of being a dry embouchure player. =[