Dry lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently started drinking a lot of mountain dew. I drink it on the long drive to school in the morning, at lunch, etc. Bottom line: I drink it WAY more than I drink water. Lately I've also noticed I get a really crappy sound sometimes in the upper register. It sounds like a fuzzy sound to the max, to the point where nothing comes out. I'm suspecting the Mountain Dew is drying out my lips and creating response issues. Could this be happening? I'm assuming I should switch to water, but is there anything, well, less boring? Haha. I just don't want to be dehydrated and I want to know what you guys do that works. I used to use Burts Bees, but it dried my lips out so now I use Chopsaver. Any tips?

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    You could try flavored water, plenty of that. Or Crystal Light Packets you can put into a bottle of water, to flavor it.

For some reason I don't feel like this is causing your issue. You may just need to work on focusing your sound. Long tones, flexibility studies, etc. I think it would be consistent throughout your range if your lips were truly dry enough to affect your playing. I could be incorrect though, let's see what others think, especially our "medical staff" ;)

3. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I doubt it. I have a lot of free time now and do more long tones and flexibility than ever before. I do about 2 hours in the morning of nothing but flow studies, scales, lip slurs/trills and range building exercises. In the afternoon I mainly sight read and work on whatever pieces I am working on and suck at, then I have wind ensemble and usually am done for the day. I finish around 5pm and rest until the next day around 10 am, so plenty of rest time.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    That's interesting. Forgive my prior ignorance then!
    I don't mean to sound at all condescending in my next question: Are you sure you're approaching the higher register correctly when this occurs? Do you have an instructor to assist you?

Even when I have dry lips, my upper range still matches my lower range. It's only when my lips are swollen, or the muscles aren't coordinating correctly that what you describe happens to me. We're all different though, so it's quite possible you're right.

Add: I'm just trying to address other possibilities that you may not have thought of, so I don't mean to say that it's necessarily something you aren't working correctly.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mountain Dew = Caffeine = Diarrheatic! That's why your lips are dry. Don't do the Dew for a while and see if that fixes ya. Chopsaver is a good lip balm BTW.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    <sugar rant>

There is a TON of sugar in those sodas! Be careful you aren't laying the ground work for developing diabetes.
    Each 20oz Mountain Dew has EIGHTEEN teaspoons of sugar. Imagine buying a cup of coffee and standing there and adding a teaspoon of coffee 18 times to a single cup. Crazy! And... how many of those 20's to you dring a day!?

Even a 12oz can has 16 teaspoons of sugar.

</sugar rant>

I agree that you are probably becoming dehydrated from caffeine plus processing that much sugar can't be good for you. If you need caffeine that badly buy some Vivarin. 200mg! That's 2.5 Red Bull's, or four 12oz Mountain Dews. You can still catch your buzz but save all the calories and sugar.

***Attention Health Nuts***
    Yes, I am aware that excessive caffeine is bad, and I am not recommending that someone start taking it.... just that if he IS GOING TO anyway by drinking gallons of soda it would be better to get the caffeine WITHOUT all the excessive sugar.

Drink water! It's good for you!

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Who cares about boring? Drink water to be healthy and find your kicks elsewhere. I drink lots of water (2 - 4 quarts a day), and I like it. Once you drink it for a while you will too. My water consuming habit is one of the main things I attribute my healthyness to.
    Give up the Dew and you will be glad you did. It isn't poison, but it comes close. Same for 99% of sodas. Diet ones contain sugar substitutes which many believe are more harmful than sugar.
    WATER RULES!! squeeze in some lemon juice to add spark!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Water - It's what to drink!

groverdot likes this.
  9. groverdot

groverdot New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    Canada
    I LOVE Chopsaver :D I almost buy it in bulk now. Because I live more north, the weather gets pretty dry here in the winter. Chopsaver is perfect for me. Also, Mountain Dew might be dehydrating you with all of the stuff in it. (does it have electrolytes too?) Stick to water. If you need to "wean" yourself off of it, drink Diet Cola as an alternative. Good luck!

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Gatorade? Powerade? How about some water with some MIO? All good stuff with a lot less sugar then that dew of the mountain.