Dry mouth problem?? HELP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by funkyattack, Mar 29, 2011.

1. funkyattack

funkyattack New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Hello Everybody, I am a sophmore in high school and I need to get rid of a dry mouth problem. It only occurs when Im playing by myself without an ensemble, Or during Improv. (Im comfortable with improv and im a pretty consistent player so its not the result of a sudden change in embochure) I cant seem to figure out why. I dont have this problem while playing with the full wind ensemble or Jazz ensemble. It just seems like everything drys out and my flexibility gets destroyed. I dont have a huge problem with getting nervous either :/

Any tips on how to help fix this problem???

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sip water while you play.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Do you take an allergy medication?:oops:

4. funkyattack

funkyattack New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    dont take meds, and ive tried the water and it doesnt help much

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You get a dry mouth in certain playing situations -- when you're playing alone or playing a improv solo. But it doesn't happen when playing normally with the entire band. It sounds like a dry mouth from being nervous.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    FA,

Drinking water during a performance is NOT a solution. You need to:
    a/ drink a lot of water the rest of the time 0 min 2l/day in small portions during the day (drinking lots of water in once is not recomended)
    b/ dehydratation may be caused by extreme reaction of stage fright
    c/ extreme mp pressure due to stage fright and shallow breathing can also cause loss of flexibility
    d/ unbalanced diet (too salty, too spicy etc) and chemical disbalances can cause dry mouth.

These are all assumptions and you should better see a physician. Healthy diet and lots of water should do the work. Taking nutritional complements that contain vitamine E may help as well.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just keep playing. When your confidence subconsciously gets better, you will need the spitvalve.

I know of NOTHING physical to solve emotional issues.

8. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    funnyattack-I might question first the reason for your dry mouth. If you're not on any medication known for dry mouth (antihistamines), you should get checked out for medical conditions that can result in your symptom. Sjogren's syndrome and diabetes (or any dehydrating condition), for example, can cause this problem. These conditions, if treated, may help. Good luck.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    :lol: Robin, that was a good one :thumbsup: It took me a while to figure it out though.