Dry mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jun 16, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Recently Im sufering dry mouth that infects my sound and even range

I have detected that my mouth get dried if I breathe in through mouth, but if I breath in through nose it is better, mouth are moisty

do you have that problem too?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just drink more. If you have allergies, get medical help.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Frank!

I recommend drinking something lemony. Lemon seems to stimulate the salivary glands and makes your mouth good and wet. Plain water in my experience appears to DRY out my mouth, presumably because it washes away the saliva and mucus that normally coats the inside of the mouth. Lemonade (diet, like Crystal Light) avoids this because the saliva and its mucus are replaced more rapidly than with plain water. Crystal Light doesn't appear to be too acidic, either, although I've never measured it with a pH meter.

Others have suggested rubbing a lemon on the back of your hand. Then when you need to moisten up your mouth, give the back of your lemoned hand a lick, and the lemon does it's thing.

I hope this helps!

Guy Clark

Guy

4. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    Wow.. thats a good tip..thanks Guy !

5. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I only have the dry problem when Im nervous. I dring alot of water before I play and I dont use mouthwash or toothpaste immediately before playing because it dried me out. I f I can take a drink on stage wwith me, I do. If I cant I do the bite the edges of my tongue trick.

Good luck.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I suffer from this problem too and it doesn't matter how much water I drink. There are mouthwashes for this sort of thing, and they are quite good. Biotene and Oasis are the ones I've tried. They both also have sprays that work.

7. Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    upstate, NY
    Do you take allergy medicine with a decongestant component? I had this similar problem earlier in the allergy season, and I stopped taking my Claritin "D" and just took Claritin. Problem solved.

8. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    I agree .. water useless to me.. I have used Oasis with some sucess.. Guy's lemon is the best idea I have ever heard gonna try it at next Sunday's concert..

9. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    If nervousness is still a problem for you, read Performing in The Zone. There are some simple exercises and techniques there that you can use to help you feel calm and confident in performances.

Performing in The Zone | Unleash your true performing potential!

Hope that helps!

10. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I cant remember where i read it but lightly scraping the tip of your tongue against the back of your two front teeth always seems to help me, which always produces saliva at the back sides of my tongue. try it out! :thumbsup: