Dry mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jun 16, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, guys!

I just last night played an orchestra concert in Breckenridge, Colorado at an altitude of about 10000ft. I was in the throes of a bad case of bronchitis, for which I had to call my physician (in California) to get a prescription for some serious, codeine based, cough suppressant, as well as an athsma inhaler (albuterol). I finally recieved my meds the night before the rehearsal, the morning of the concert.

Just before the concert, I was warming up, and felt good, chop-wise. However, I felt my lungs starting to get congested, and took a hit of the albuterol inhaler. Almost immediately, my mouth dried up, like a dry bone. I had my lemonade with me, but even that didn't help much, or for long. I had to play the concert with a dry mouth.

In the end, I don't think anybody but me, and those to whom I confided knew of my problem, but it was very uncomfortable.

I think I learned two things last night: Try not to try any new meds just before a concert, and It's a good idea to learn to play with a dry mouth anyway, just in case....

While neither of these were completely new meds for me, I haven't needed the albuterol in a couple of years, and not immediately before a concert. This time, however, the link between the inhaler and the dry mouth was unmistakeable.

Finally, it's a good idea to practice under adverse conditions, so that one can be prepared to perform under adverse conditions!!!

Hope that helps!

Guy

2. erichmiller

erichmiller New Friend

Aug 17, 2010
    i really like the lemon idea, and seeing how im a big lemonade fan, im definately gonna try it out. But i know water usually works for me. I try to keep a water bottle in my gig bag so no matter what i have some liquid nourishment if the need arrises