Dry Mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetbeast, Nov 24, 2010.

1. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When I play, after a little while, like 2-3 minutes, it feels like my mouth goes totally dry. Then I have to stop playing to lick my lips (sometimes my mouthpiece) to be able to play well again, this is a big problem when I have important parts during marching and concert band for my high school. How ca this be fixed, if at all? Thanks in advance for your help.[/FONT]

2. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    drink water

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Believe it or not, dude, there are many of us who drink plenty of water but still stuffer from this. Sheesh.

To the OP: one thing i can recommend is Oasis brand mouthwash for dry mouth. Also, avoid salty foods and coffee and the like before you play. That should help a bit.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It is my understanding for those who suffer from this problem, if you lightly bite your tongue it will cause more saliva.

5. tmckane

tmckane New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    I had this problem for several months.. Dr couldn't figure it out.. My dentist suggested I use Biotene (over the counter) toothpaste and mouthwash and the dryness went away in 3 weeks.. needless to say I was quite happy.. I continue to use it every day as a precaution

just letting you know what worked for me..

hope you get better

Tim

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  7. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    just to put a little more detail into s.coomer´s answer, it´s the sides of your tongue that you gently bite down on.

8. concordtrumpet

concordtrumpet New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    Maurice Andre once said in an interview that French trumpet players would rub a lemon between their thumb and index fingers. If they ever got dry mouth, they would rub their gums with those fingers.

Otherwise, another good trick to get you to salivate is to run your tongue across the front of your teeth.

Hope this helped!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a biological reason for a dry mouth that drinking may not solve. The best thing is to learn to play any way your body turns and not have any excuses.

I see no reason to "compensate" for such things unless they become real health issues. Runny noses, fevers, coughs all have important functions in stabilizing our bodies. Putting a bandaid over them just makes us more susceptable to bigger issues.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  10. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    Thanks for all the help. I will try these as soon as i get home. I hope to eventually learn to play with a dry mouth like rowuk suggested, but until I do, maybe all of those tips will help.