Dry Mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetbeast, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do you take any medicine that can "dry" you out? Example: allergy medicine.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I have heard of players sipping water that has a wedge of lemon in it.

Like Rowuk says, best thing is just to learn how to cope. For me, Oasis is the panacea that allows me to cope. that and avoiding salty foods anfd caffeine before a gig.

3. trumpetbeast

trumpetbeast New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    i take no medicines

4. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    I know how you feel, when I get nervous my mouth is as dry as a dessert! I just drink water, but it doesnt really help.. I just tried lightly biting on the side of my tongue and instantly I felt saliva. I think I will try that for my next performance.

5. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    I get dry mouth before auditions and solo performances, my teacher has made me stuff kleenex in my mouth, sit for a minute, take the kleenex out and play cold so I can learn to deal with dry mouth, when you think about there is no reason this should effect your trumpet playing

6. Shofarblast

Shofarblast New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    When I was in college I would get dry mouth before and during recitals I had to play for. I had a couple of disasters that totally humiliated me. For me, the dryness was emotional... fear, nerves, stress...etc. After the humiliating episodes which I have since repressed (lol) I eventually adopted the attitude ... "after that what could possibly happen that is worse than what I already experienced."

As my confidence grew my nerves got better and dry mouth wasn't as much of a problem. Never bothers me now at age 48. Anyway, that was my experience with dry mouth.

BTW, I started taking a glass of water with me on the stage to drink just in case. I don't think I ever drank any during the recitals. It's been too long ago to remember for sure.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. TheNigerian

TheNigerian New Friend

Nov 2, 2008
    Akron
    Try chewing gum when you're not playing your horn!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

hän Norja koomikko!! ROFLROFLROFL (he's a norwegian comedian).

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Many trumpeters have a dry mouth at the beginning of a performance, but very few after settling in. 2-3 minutes should be more than enough time to settle in. You described your problem as occurring every time you play.The next advice is more psychological than physiological and I am by no means a psychologist, but rather a well-read trumpet teacher.

The big question for you would be: "Do I have permission to succeed with the trumpet?"

I believe that our "inner voices" can subtly effect us but if we adopt a warrior attitude in practice and performance we can meet our core values.

One of the life lessons that playing the trumpet can teach is what Bruno Walter called "impulse of will."

In other words: work through your problem.

10. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Is it a possibility that some medication is causing the problem?