Drying and lubrication - my trumpet of course ;)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by danfloun, Aug 29, 2011.

1. danfloun

danfloun New Friend

Aug 27, 2011
    Hello,

After searching I find nothing that answers my specific question so;

When cleaning out my trumpet with soapy water and brushes etc, how do I dry the main sections like bell and lead, etc? Do I just leave them to dry in the kitchen in their own time, pull small bits of cloth through them, or do I send some warm air from the hair dryer through it?

Secondly, I am supposed to lubricate the main sections also?
    For example, pulling a lightly lubed oily rag through it on a piece of string!

Thanks
    Danny

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you rinse it thoroughly, don't worry about the remaining water. When you reassemble it you can blow it out through the water keys (spit valves). Once well rinsed, just shake it out as well as you can. I usually hold it by the valve casing and rotate the ends back and forth to shake out the excess. Water on the inside won't hurt it. You CAN oil the valves by putting some valve oil down the leadpipe. That helps to fight corrosion.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I use warm dry air myself -- in winter from our ducted heating, in summer that's not a problem in this hot, dry region. I don't lubricate anything other than the valves, and use a small amount of slide grease on the main tuning slide, the 2nd valve slide and the 3rd valve water dump slide. Very occasionally I put a couple of drops of valve oil on my 1st and 3rd valve trigger slides.

I am very careful with rags around the valve casings lest I compromise the valve travel (the tolerance is already as low as I think it can be).

--bumblebee

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't worry about a bit of moisture in the horn. Only the valves and casings MUST be bone dry before oiling - oil floats on water.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    And slide grease prefers dry metal.

6. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I usually toss my trumpet in the clothes dryer and set it on FLUFF cycle.......j/k...lol

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, I'll remember that the next time I see you selling a trumpet. Not only will I ask to see the seriel number, but also insist on having you send a record of all those dry cleaning bills!

NOW BACK TO THE THEME OF THE THREAD
    Other than the valve casings and the slide connections, that are easily dried by hand with an absorbant paper towel, consider the next move, playing the horn. It's just gonna get wet again (except were you have already put down oil and grease, with breath goodies that will make the rinse water look pristine.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've written a paper on trumpet maintenace that I'll gladly send to anyone who wants it. You can contact me through my web site.