drying out (beginner question)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by simonstl, Dec 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ben,
    no buzz, no sound. The lips are the sound generator. There is nothing else in the system that can get the air to vibrate. The difference between buzzing in free air, on the mouthpiece or into the horn is the resonance that you get by adding hardware. The resonance of the instrument supports the buzz at a particular frequency, making it easier to hold out a note steadily with constant sound quality.

The horn does not make the lips vibrate, only the player can induce that. The instrument only tries to make the lips vibrate at specific frequencies related to the length of the horn.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Simon,
    maybe I shouldn't ask this. How are you with foreign languages - there is plenty of unfamiliar activity there.................... :whistle:

sorry, I couldn't resist.

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Funny, I am in the middle of practicing right now and was noticing how much saliva my mouth produces when I play. I have to swallow a lot, and use the water key a lot. I've always had quite a bit of saliva (used to have problems drooling when I was concentrating on something like a math problem in school) but playing REALLY brings it out.

A lot of what comes from the water key is a product of saliva in your mouth. There's the water vapor / condensation issue, but some of your saliva is atomized as the air passes through your mouth, lips, and mouthpiece into the horn. The vibration and venturi effect of your lips/mouthpiece add to the phenomenon. As the air with this entrained moisture travels through the pipes it will collect on in inner walls of turns, objects like water key holes, valves, and even the straight pipes.

Condensation becomes a problem for me when I'm playing at church. I'll play a song and fill it up with warm, moist air, empty the water key, then put it on a stand for 5-15min. During this time the pipe walls cool, so all of my moist breath collects on the walls. I pick it up to play, and have to remember to empty the water key again. It will be just as full of water as if I had not emptied following the previous song or two.

So, you're not "spitting into" the horn. But the spit does make it's way into the horn.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Foreign languages?

For the ones I've worked with (Latin, Spanish, and German) there hasn't been that much unfamiliar mouth movement, at least not when compared with playing trumpet.

Rolling an r into a trumpet is fun, though.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yes, it's called a flutter tongue. In jazz it's one of the ways to growl on a trpt.