ds9

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davidjohnson, Dec 21, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    who played the ds9 theme?

thanx
    dj

2. HHansontrpt

HHansontrpt New Friend

Nov 1, 2005
    I sure wish I knew.....I've always thought it was amazing.

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Excuse my ignorance...but what is the DS9 theme???...Just came to me...are you talking the Deep Space Nine theme???? Honestly it just came to me as I was posting this.

4. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I understood that it was Malcolm McNabb. The story goes that they were having trouble syncing up the orchestra and the video and had to do the sequence over and over again. They played it 39 times and Malcolm played the solo perfectly every time. On the 40th attempt he cacked a note and the entire orchestra stood up and applauded! The did it once more, got everything synced up, and what you hear on SpikeTV in the afternoon is history.

At least, that's the story I heard. Who cares if it's accurate? I like the story!

5. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    good story, brad. i've heard the 40 takes story, but Jon Lewis'
    name.

PhatmonB6:
    you win the deciphering prize!

dj

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Jon is a good friend and I can say with certainty it was him... or he's been pulling my leg for years... :lol:

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    This came up somewhere else (TPIN?) and if I remember Jon did say he was the solo player, probably first trumpet all the way through the run.

A friend of mine in the studios tells the story of Wayne Bergeron at one studio having to play a difficult legit solo written with Jon in mind, and accross town Jon playing Lead on something written with Wayne in mind.

He says Wayne worked out the soft, sustained passages during a break (after having a little difficulty with response) and did an excellent take the producer was very pleased with. Jon worked out his part as well, but I guess he asked for more money!!!!!

8. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    great stories. thanks all.

dj

9. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I believe Malcomn played it the first season and that's where the 40 takes were. In subsequent seasons it was Jon Lewis.

Eb

10. LATrumpetJon

LATrumpetJon New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    DS9 Theme

Hi everyone, my first posting. A friend forwarded the link to me so I thought I would put in my 2 cents. Malcolm did the 'definitive' version of the DS9 theme. I started doing the show a couple of shows AFTER that and did the rest of the seasons, including re-doing the them several years later in more of a pop-rock type feel. So, it was NOT me on the original but you probably heard me a few hundred times during the show... :D

Glad to see this show up on the postings, thanks!

Jon Lewis