DSO testing live video at concerts

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Solar Bell, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Didn't work.... shoot.

ML

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I just tried and it works.

Try www.freep.com and scroll down to the story.

-cw-

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That was a very interesting article Chuck. Thank you for pointing it out. I am not sure I am so thrilled about what they are saying though. I personally would not like to have this kind of technology mixed in with a symphony concert on a regular basis, but that is my personal taste. I am one of those people that is annoyed that someone decided we (the audience or fans) need to be entertained in between EVERY inning at a baseball game. I don't understand why we can't just talk amongst ourselves or just enjoy the weather or just enjoy "being" while the teams make the change. We seem so petrified of silence or having the time to actually think in today's society. It blows my mind. I personally would find this type of technology a distraction if I am going to an event to let music wash over me.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I think it's a very interesting concept: I find that when I go to listen to an orchestra I WANT to be able to "zoom in" on the details of what is going on at times. Certainly when I watch the Boston Pops (for example) on PBS I enjoy seeing the details available from the close-ups. There is no doubt that symphonies are having to change their approach to presentation of the music to suit the audience...failure to do so will result in a loss of "customer".

I think my concern is that it becomes a "multi-media circus" where the music gets lost in the video details. There are times when I just shut my eyes and listen... I've even been known (much to my wife's chagrin) to relax to the extent that I fall asleep during live performances (hopefully I haven't snored yet!... I'm sure she'd give me the proverbial elbow if I did)

I reckon we'll have to give it a chance before passing judgement on the idea...but at least someone is trying something to put "bums in the seats".