DSO

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Solar Bell, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Manny,

I would like an "outsider's" opinion...

What do you think of Maestro Neeme Järvi leaving the Detroit Symphomy Orchestra and what impact do you think this will have on the DSO?

Thanks,

Chuck Willard

ps
    The links to your sound bites on the Monette page were great.
    What an incredible sound you have!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Chuck,

The nice thing about having someone like Jaarvi is the precedent it establishes for getting another superstar type to fill the void. He's well-regarded around here though we haven't seen much of him lately.

There's a crazy frenchman I like named Tortelier that the public would love and the musicians would enjoy. Maybe they'll get him. Keep me up on the gossip and let me know who they're thinking about.

ML

3. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Leaving Detroit and starting in The Hague (Netherlands). I'm delighted he chose to become chef here. Now we have three fantastic chiefconductors in our litlle country. The other two? How about Maris Janssons (one of my alltime favourite conductors) with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra? And how about Valery Gergiev (although he doesn't spend much time in Rotterdam)?

4. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  5. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Gergiev is one of my all-time favorites!!! I've never seen him live, but his recordings with Kirov are pheonominal. I wasn't aware he was in Rotterdam as well.
    -Jimi

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I wanted to ask a question, and although maybe it deserves its own thread, I'll just tack it on to the end here.

What exactly quantifies a good conductor? The great ones all seem to be shrouded in a kind of mystique, almost as if they transcend everything normal and "become" music on another plane. What exactly sets a "great" conductor apart from other conductors?

And how does one find themselves in the position of conducting a major symphony orchestra?

Sorry for the hijack, but these are things that I have never really grasped.