Duet with Euph in Church tower

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, May 15, 2011.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi,
    For an event in our town me and some other musicians were asked to play in the church tower. The point is that the church is old and it's some kind of yearly event to remember it's existance and some other stuff. During that day, instead of the church bell, every hour a group of musicians goes up and plays 3 things: first, a predetermined small fanfare (about 30 seconds long) then the amount of rings the church bell should have done in long notes, and then a piece of music. We're pretty free on what to pick, but since we're 100 meters up in the air 'piano' pieces and soft lyrical things are out of the question.
    I'm supposed to play with our Euphonium player, and we're looking for a duet for trumpet + euphonium. Does anyone have anything I could use for it?
    Also: in your opinion: what works better? trumpet + euphonium or flugelhorn + euphonium?

so, does anyone have a duet lying around that could be usefull here? something in the style of a fanfare seems most appropriate. lenght should be approximately 3 minutes. These are guidelines though, and I have no idea on what to pick...

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Still searching....
    I bumped it up since it was allmost off the first page without a single reply.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Igor Stravinsky - Fanfare for a New Theater, for 2 trumpets

Tony Plog also has a pretty cool one.

Other than that, I use the Voxman duet books, Amsden, Sachse, Saint Jacome when I need stuff like this. The only stuff that I have ever played with a baritone horn was the Bach 2 part inventions.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I didn't respond at first because I reckoned you can use google as well as I can. But thinking about your other question, I would say the choice of trumpet over flugelhorn to play with a euphonium really depends on the tune; some may lend themselves to similar tone colours (flugelhorn and euph), other tunes may call out for the keener edge of the trumpet running counter to the euph's sound.

If it were me looking for a duet to play in a church setting I would be hunting through my baroque repertoire. Something by Clarke or Purcell or Handel. You say it is a duet, but is there a church organ that could be added?

--bumblebee

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    No organ available, since we're not technically playing inside the church, but on top of it. (we're standing in the bell tower, playing to the 'market' outside.)

thanks for the hints, I'll see if I can find something using those names

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Oh my word, guys, when I first glanced at this post in the side bar, my mind saw the 'euph in' and assembled the title as 'duet with eunuch in church tower.' Bwahahaha.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my viewpoint that any duet with melody in treble clef (trumpet) and a bass clef accompaniment (euphonium) would work. If your audience is the public, I wouldn't select music that is too deep in the classics.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Get a trumpet/vocal version of Handel's "Let the Bright Seraphim" and play the vocal part with the trumpet and the trumpet part with the Euphonium (or vice-versa, whichever works out the best). I would love to hear that played from a church tower.

If that interests you but working out the arrangement is hard, I have a brass quintet version which you could look at. But without all 5 parts, I'm not sure it would be any easier to arrange.