Duet with Yourself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Aug 12, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    That sounds funny. Anyway I bought a book of Bach duets for trumpet, and I'm really excited about the thought of recording duets with myself. We have a very nice digital recorder that will do up to 8 tracks (we record a weekly podcast with it).

So do you just record the first track, and listen to it in headphones while recording the second track? Or do you listen to a click-track / metronome while you record each track separately?

Also, the recorder has unidirectional mics on it. We don't usually use those. We have a Crowne floor mic that might be better for this (we use it for ambient noise during the podcast). We've also got a set of binaural mics that we could mount in a stand, for purposes of recording. What do you think?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Use the most directional mike(s) you have, fairly near the bell so you don't pickup other sound in the room (your breathing, etc)
    Record 1 track, then use your headphones to listen while recording the 2nd. Use closed style phones to keep that sound off the second track. You may want to leave one ear uncovered.
    Do it first with just a simple piece like Mary had a Little Lamb - only a few measures, and use that to get your setup adjusted where you want it before proceeding with the Bach.

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks veery! One obstacle: I only have one ear (unilateral hearing loss as a child). I was kind of hoping to use an in-ear style headphone and listen to what I was currently playing through my skull. I can't really think of another easy way to work it. That's why I wondered if I should lay down each track independently with a metronome (on light-only, no click) to guide me. But I will probably be off in my timing if I do that.

4. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    You might want to have light-only metronome for the first track and listen to that track as you record the second. That way you won't have any unexpected lapses in time when you play against yourself.
    Just an idea, I've only done this a couple times.