Dumb newbie question on C#

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I know you push out the 3rd slide/kicker to flatten low C#. I got lazy and just left it out instead of trying to go in/out/in/out. Seemed to work pretty good. So my dumb question is, why not just make the trumpet with a longer 3rd slide so it's ALWAYS in tune?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Because an in tune C# would mean a too flat D(1+3), Eb and Ab(2+3) as well as kill the possibility to use 3 instead of 1+2 during certain difficult passages.

Many pro horns have a hook/ring/trigger on the first AND third to give us the best choice depending on the playing position.

3. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Alot of vintage trumpets did have a longer 3rd slide with no quick flick adjustments. You had to lip in any notes that were out of tune. New technology has made it easier to flick the finger or thumb instead of working the chops so hard.
    -Bobby

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Anytime a trumpeter ADDS valves together, the horn plays sharp. This has to do with ratios of pitches and adding the pipe lengths in fixed combinations. Trombone players will tell you that the distance moved in adjacent slide positions get progressively longer. Well, a trumpet works pretty much the same way but with valves in fixed length combinations. Open horn is OK. Second down is OK. first down is OK. However, 1-2 is sharp. One and three is very sharp and all three down is EXTREMELY sharp.

Many manufactures do stretch the thrd slide a LITTLE bit to allow to to not have to push out quite so for. So, an some horns 2-3, which SHOULD be very sharp, isn't too bad.

TTFN
    ND