dumb newbie question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Why do some trumpets come with two white gloves? :duh:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that you are referring to inexpensive chinese horns. The reason has nothing to do with playing the horn, it is just their marketing. In some cases, it could double the value of the package! ;-)

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

A very nice play on words, Robin.

OLDLOU>>

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Bruce,
    You are lucky, I only got 1 glove with my horns. Yes they are Chinese manufactured, but I really do like them. Not sure why it's there. It came with a cleaning cloth as well. The idea may be to use it for practice.

There are some good Chinese horns, mine are BG, manufactured in Shanghai for the German market. The cases come with a German flag tag on them. Being Australian (we do not have any Aussie based horn makers), I do not get too emotional over the make, but base judgement on performance. Certainly price is excellent. I lived in Shanghai for 5 years, so had time to look for the better ones.

Some Chinese horns are dogs to play, and poor quality. But watch this space, Japan had a similar reputation for poor quality in the 1950s-60s then turned the quality corner. Most Chinese Music Instrument makers are focussed on the local market, but some are lucky to be in the export market and make known brands, have ISO9000 accreditation and adopt world's best practice.

Cheers

5. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    It keeps our sweaty hands from damaging the finish on the valve cluster. Looks cool if they are not real floppy gloves.

Uncle Dave

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bruce,

I use cotton gloves when practicing - I bought a couple of pairs at the local super market - as they don't come with a vintage 2nd hand Getzen. Using the gloves reduces the number of finger marks on the horn and reduces the need to polish my trumpets - specially the silver ones. It would probably work well for raw brass too. The only downside is it makes the scores more difficult to use - the gloves don't grip the paper very well. As Rowuk suggests, the Chinese often put them in it seems for marketing purposes. The Chinese often seem to wear cotton gloves for all kinds of things. If you are going to use them, wash them first in fabric softener - this seems to control the fluff you get from them better, and minimises that fluff getting into your trumpet.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As stated, many use white gloves to protect the finish on the trumpet. Especially if they have a high acidity content when they perspire. Go back and look at pictures of Louis Armstrong and note that he always had a white handkerchief when holding his trumpet.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought Armstrong carried a handkerchief because he would sweat a lot and needed to wipe his head...

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree with this one. Louis seemed to generate a lot of perspiration. I have always used one because I generate a lot of spit and need to wipe off the excess once in a while and use valve guards on my horns, when possible. When I had my K mod from 60-70, I wore off the lacquer like crazy, although I guess they are not noted for lacquer quality. A guy I know played one in the yearly Alumni concert band day at Michigan State Sunday , which has terrible finish, and dents, but still plays well.:thumbsup:

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Ditto the lacquer problem, and I also had a problem for many years with silver plating. I used a handkerchief on the valve casings until well into my 20's. The problem seems to have resolved itself with age, but for a long time I could strip the lacquer off a horn in hardly any time at all just by holding it and sweating on it. Maybe living in a cooler, less humid climate now helps.
    I'll still use white gloves on horns with questionable finishes, such as the Chinese horns which are silver lacquered, rather than plated, and the advertisements say in one place that they use cellulose lacquer, in another that they use epoxy.