Dumb question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    OK,

Dumb question. When playing guitar there are certain scale fingerings that work in any key. Is there such a thing for the trumpet? From what I have seen so far it doesn't seem to be the case but I figured I'd ask.

Pauly

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have a complete collection of trumpets, all you need to learn is C major.........

There are many more differences when compared to a trumpet. Each key has its own patterns.

3. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    One fun one (not necessarily helpful) If you play an F Major scale up and down with 3rd valve, replacing 1-2 valve (on a). Then play it again, holding down middle valve the whole time- it is an E Major scale.

Goofy, but try it.

4. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I'm assuming you mean the different keyed trumpets?

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Chromatics and Pentanic pairs may work!!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    why not just learn each scale in every octave that you can play - and remember all those valve combinations?

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I play guitar as well... and it is cool being able to learn a pattern and then move up a fret and be in another key ...
    so in anwer to your question in those terms ..nope ..sorry
    but you will be a more complete musician by learning patterns in mutiple keys on the trumpet ... it'll probably even help your guitar playing ...

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I assume you are talking about how you can play a pentatonic scale pattern and just slide the 'box' up or down for a different key? You play different notes, but the relationship between notes remains the same. Yes, this does exist on trumpet (and all instruments). (But you can't just play in different keys with the same fingerings .... DRAT!)

If you think in terms of relations rather than fingerings the scale pattern remains the same. A lot of guitarists use minor pentatonic exclusively. That is Root, 2, b3, 5, b7. If you think in those terms you can play the minor pentatonic in whatever key. But of course, you ought to learn/know all the major and minor scales anyway. It is not that difficult to learn them.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Unfortunately, we don't have frets to move up and down--on trumpet it relies on muscle memory and ear-training.

Bummer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  10. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

You pay with your rear? That's gotta be some vulgano magic. Please don't describe the mouthpiece placement. ROFL