Dumb question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SwingPlayer, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SwingPlayer

SwingPlayer New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    I.E. SoCal
    I know what your going to say, the only dumb question is the one not asked. So here it is.

What is a chop? It's used all the time.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'm a huge fan of pork chops, not so much of mutton chops....

Anyway! In music terms chops is more or less equivalent to skill and/or ability. Usually when someone says "so and so has great chops" they mean "so and so" is a really good player with a lot of strength, endurance, flexibility, etc.

You can also say "transposition chops" about someone's ability to transpose

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm guessing that you mean "chops". If so, it means lips... "My chops are tired!"

Also, +1 on what bagmangood said!

Kujo

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    It started with Louis Armstrong referring to his lips as his "chops". The lyrics in "That's My Desire" go, "The brush of your lips against mine" but Louis sang "The feel of your chops mashed up against mine". Nowadays it can mean a guitar player's finger dexterity, or even a singer's skill and accuracy. I've even heard computer techs use the expression. But as far as trumpet playing goes, it means embouchure.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    See..no such thing as a stupid question. I learned a lot from those responses above, esp about Louis Armstrong. Thanks kcmt01. Maybe now I will have the courage to ask "What mouthpiece is the best?" Best wishes.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Chops? -- I am glad someone asked that question, I was afraid too.
    pretty soon I will ask a question -- like what's up with the miles, or what is a winton marselis -- uh oh the classical critics are going to hammer me for that.
    please take our humor seriously -- laughing at myself is the only laugh I get some days, LOL

7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "Maybe now I will have the courage to ask "What mouthpiece is the best?".....geez, I think a 7c is a great beginner mouthpiece ROFL Here we go.... at least I get rid of this banner for little while "Hello ccNochops, It appears that you have not posted in several weeks. We hope to hear from you soon! ":-P

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chops can mean embouchure, in the case of finer jazz musicians it can also mean timing and command of changes.

Basically it is used to describe things that musicians do well: endurance, tone, accuracy......

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I always thought it went back to wood splitting, "That guy could really chop wood", and referred to the trained reflexes and musculature used in that task.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is the Enlish slang dictionary definition:
    Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

Go Super to Listen [​IMG]
    have the necessary ability; be very skilled at something
    2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Go Super to Listen [​IMG]
    If you want to be great at something, you’ve got to have the chops. No, we’re not talking about the length of your sideburns. If you want to achieve fame and glory by being amazing at something, you have to have great skill—or chops.

Chops is slang for the jaws or mouth. Trumpet players need to have strong jaws if they want to become better players, so people used to say that you couldn’t become a great trumpet player if you didn’t have the chops for it. Later the expression came to mean the ability to play any instrument, not just the trumpet. And now we use chops to talk about any skill or ability.