Dumb question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SwingPlayer, Apr 28, 2011.

1. RothMusic

RothMusic New Friend

Dec 25, 2004
    Not a dumb question. Chops for a trumpet player refers to lips. But people use the term chops to refer to someone's skill set also, even outside of music. Such as, "I've not given a speech in years, I hope I still have the chops to pull it off."

It's like gig which has been sort for engagement, which growing up around musicians I always thought a gig was a music gig. But that's not the case, "Art finally got a new gig in the accounting department." Now if I had heard that when I was a kid, I would have thought that the accounting department might have had their own in-house band. :-)

David A. Roth

Brass Informant - NO UNTRUTH UNTOLD (tm)

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, me too. didn't Woody Herman do that "Wood-choppers Ball" thing?!;-)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I thought "chops" were: 1. What a timberman did with his axe, and you do to the wood for the fireplace, 2. What a sushsi chef did to provide smaller food pieces. 3. Shortened term for chopsticks. 4. A martial arts hit with the edge of the hand, 5. An archaic term for false teeth (which I'll soon have) 6. How you hoe the weeds in your garden, ad infinitum.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    These are classic definitions, but the way we use this comes from the dictionary of slang as I noted above. This places more cultural twists into the term.

And by the way, who are you calling a hoe? And how dare you infer I am doing weed in the garden! See it's all in the cultural (or lack there of) interpretation.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    OK now I think we are flirting with that whole "dumb question" thing. Type on all! Best wishes.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly, I know the word "chops" in the vernacular of brass music player, but I'd never teach it. Too, in too many years as LEO I've heard how certain persons refer to an immoral woman, but when it comes to "weed" forensically known as marihuana I'd have needed probable cause to make and arrest and the penalty the Court would mete would be based on the amount I found in your possession or control, the charges set forth by the prosecutor, thus haven't even seen you, I infer nothing ... but I do understand what you're putting forth vis words have different meanings in context and locale.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your point is well made and truly respected. I was making a parallel of how definitions go beyond formally constructed in the dictionary. There is much culture in our language that has more meaning beyond what is published in an academic text. This is the case with the word "chops".

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I feel the title of this post "dumb question" is anything but. I think it was a very good quesition and through all this discussion, we are all learning much as to what this term means to us. Call it flirting, I call it searching and providing perspective and I do believe every on posting here is adding to the understanding. So yes, type on all.