Dumb questions about fingerings...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 18, 2005.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Could someone give me a list of fingerings for questionable notes? Such as pedal tones (down to and even past pedal C), high notes, double notes and the pros and cons of different fingerings? (ie high C open or 23, 23 being higher pitched and easier to lip than open which is flat).

2. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Not as dumb as I thought, apparently...

or maybe dumber than I could've imagined! :cry:
    :dontknow:
    :lol:

Right now, pedal tones seem easiest with 13. Then I talked with a brass gentleman who told me (upon asking about the fingering of a pedal C) something along the lines that it is the same as Bb and is fingered open. And yet, I can't hit the note on the right pitch open (only with other fingerings, 13 being the easiest).

???

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well, I don't want you to feel bad because no one has posted, so I'll say something even though it is really no help...

I don't really know anything about pedal tones... the only time I play pedal tones is when I warm down after rehersal...

There ya go!

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I believe the reason no one has posted is because there is not a "set" fingering for the registers for which you inquire. For example, I play pedal C open, but others have more success with all three valves down. I play double high c with first valve while others play it open, 2nd, or even 3rd. I personally think to play in those registers with a clear, strong and well-defined sound, one must play on their particular equipment and find which fingerings most help them acheive their "sound". Hope this helps.

5. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    In theory, open is the right fingering, but I can't even get out the note. I can hit it with 13...
    Well, yes, but also about tuning. In Rubank's method, he gives out some fingerings from high C to the F above it with preferred tuning (C# is 2, D is open, etc). That's all I was asking. :-)

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL

Pedal notes are definately one of the five most debated points as to playing the trumpet (pedals, tongue, embouchure placement, embouchure change in the upper register, anyone else have one?); thus, no matter what I say, somebody below me is bound to say, "NO! THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY!"

Anyways, for just one example, try arpeggiating down to pedal C by playing C in the staff followed by G, E, C, G, E, pedal C, and let the pedal C sink as flat as the G below or even lower. Over time, you'll learn how to push the air harder (harder or faster, I don't know) up to pedal C open, and sometimes I can play pedal C# open. There's eight-bazillion ways to do this, so please nobody give me the "absolutely correct" speech. :x

In terms of upper register fingering, it all depends on the intonation of the individual horn. On my horn, I can play every note above high E and every note in between open! On some horns, you'll want to play the high D open while on others you'll want to use 1, 13, or maybe another one that'll work. Double C I can play open the couple times I've played it, so it's all a relative game.

7. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    ?? Nice word. :-o
    How about the C below very sharp? :oops: What I can do is sneak up on it with the mouthpiece: I take out the mouthpiece, buzz the note (I can buzz better than play, when it comes to those things), and slowly insert it in with an open fingering. It works it works it works...and then I lose it.
    I've seen a fingering chart before where it addressed pedal tones. It shaded the pedal tones and said that 'younger players' should finger every pedal tone 1-3. And it works. I can hit from pedal F down to pedal C and below a little. (The C an octave below pedal C (what is that C called??) I can hit fairly easily, open-wise, in comparison). It's nice and strong, too. Is there really an advantage to fingering the, quote, right way? Like, it is better in order to keep track of what note you are at, for instance?
    :-)

BTW, you can finger everything above high C open. The only thing you 'can't' is the double F#, and I'm sure you can cheat it out of the horn fairly easily.

8. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    butxifxnot, do you have a teacher? The first thing you'd better do is find one if you don't have one, and if your current teacher isn't helping you, provided you practice (I take it for faith you do), you'd better find a new one. BTW, no you cannot finger C# open on most horns.

9. butxifxnot

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    I had one. He has a Ph.D in brass instruction, I believe. I was with him for two years. I had progress, but I'm doing fine on my own, right now. Personally, I didn't come along as well as I would've hoped for two years. Now that I look back, I think his playing and mine didn't really match had a little to do with it.
    ...Lemmee check...

10. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    The claude gordon method (A systematic approach to daily practice) advocates the use of pedal notes - he recommends using the same fingering descending from bottom F# as you would use descending from the octave above. In reality pedals are not real harmonics and need careful coordination of hearing with embouchure and air. when you get below pedal C it opens up a bit and the notes slot more easily all the way down to F.