Dumb questions about fingerings...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Jul 18, 2005.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    :-) Glad to hear it. I just had a talk with my director about it, and he educated me about pedal tones (fingerings, etc). It seems there are two classes of pedals: the 'bended' tones (from F to pedal C#) and the 'true' pedal tones that sound like a bass trombone in comparison to a regular trombone (pedal C down).
    What is the C below pedal C called?

2. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Double Pedal C?

Isn't one of the reasons you can work on stuff like pedal tones to strengthen your embouchure? Yea it's hard to play pedal C open but if you're able to doesn't that mean you have acquired a stronger control of your embouchure. I know I can only play pedal C open if my embouchure is perfect or else it just skips around.

3. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    I dunno. I've noticed that when a director friend of mine started helping out and introduced breathing to the band, one thing she did with the trumpets was do a tiny bit of emphasizing on pedal tones, which, I noticed, helped out my high range (I don't know how solid this idea is, but pedal tones are fun, anyway, and are always good for warming down at the very least.)
    :-)