DVD Players, burning discs

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Guys, I'm asking here (on the world-wide internet) so that I don't make an ass of myself in public! (HA)

Anyway, one our kids got us a DVD player for Christmas. I've resisited buying one since I don't particularly watch a lot of movies (Hollywood crap designed to extract money from my pocket and line some idiot's pockets with that same money). However:

I discovered that this particular player is supposed to handle both DVDs as well as CDs and "jpeg discs" and "mp3 discs". Now, I know it will accept and play music CDs that I've burned on my computer (a CD burner, NOT a "DVD/CD player/burner). So when I take a data CD on which I've burned a bunch of photos in jpg format, all it shows is a folder that can't be opened.

My question is: do I have to have a proper DVD burner to get a CD with family photos on it so that I can show them on the TV? Or do I just need some different software that maybe formats in "Jpeg format"?

Thanks for your help.

Hey....and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Tootsall
    I use Roxio version 6 to make slide presentations on CD's which I can watch on TV through my DVD player or computer. The software is pretty straight forward and fun to use. You can attach sound files to the pictures or just have background music playing in a loop. The Roxio suite also has a audio editor that allows you to join multiple songs together and play them back as 1 single song if you don't want to listen to the same song over and over while looking at the pictures. I have been making these slide shows for my kids baseball and soccer teams. It is alot cheaper then printing them out and giving them to everyone.

John

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks for the information, jcmacman. I am using Roxio EasyCD Creator Platinum 5 and it has what seems to be similar features. The problem I now have is that I can burn the disc but whether I use a CDR or CDRWR, the DVD player only picks up a few of the pictures. I have at least got it to show SOMETHING on the screen, but slideshows end up going "to black" on me after one or two photos. I'm wondering if there is a CD quality issue? I've tried burning the photos at slower speeds (2X instead of 8X) but that doesn't seem to cure the problem neither.

4. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    Tootsall, can you see the files that you burned on your computer? Does the slide show run on your computer? If so, then it might be a compatability problem with you DVD player. If you can, try the disk on another DVD player. I have Sony and Panasonic players and my slideshows won't work on the Panasonic.
    I have used Roxio v5, and I know they had problems with the photo slideshow part of the package, timing of the show vs music I think. If you are a registered user, you can go get the updated photo suite at Roxio's website. I downloaded it but never instaled it. I just upgraded to v6.

Hope this helps.

John

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks jcman. Yes, I've upgraded the 5 with the latest "patch". Don't know about the slideshow working "back" on the computer....for some silly reason I didn't even think of testing it. I'm not putting any music on it (at this time)....to be quite honest I never even thought of using the DVD player to display photos until I was reading throught the instructions over the holidays (Yeah...I sometimes read instructions to see "what else" it'll do! But like all men, I NEVER read instructions before turning it on the first time :D ). The DVD player is a "loss leader" type unit with a brand name I've never heard of before so what you say about compatibility is most likely the situation.