DVD trumpet lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by paultandberg, Feb 7, 2008.

1. paultandberg

paultandberg New Friend

Nov 25, 2006
    I am interested in ordering some DVD based trumpet lessons for my kids. Any recommendations (and sources)?

Caveats:

I fully understand that a DVD lesson is not a substitute for good, hands-on instruction from a qualified trumpet instructor. And I will attempt to get personal, one on one, instruction for my kids.

However, my town is a small town (400 people) and our small school’s band instructor is a woodwind and piano player. She has told us Gus is pretty darn good, and we should try get him some real live trumpet instruction from a top-notch trumpet instructor. The one she recommended, (the only one in a thirty mile radius) is booked (for now, we are on the list). And I hope to find one in a university town about fifty miles away this summer (it is a small city that is within our travel radius for shopping and entertainment)

But, in the interim, I am considering DVD instruction. So far, I have been my kids primary instructor, recalling what I can recall from my school trumpet days and adding in what I have learned from various vocal lessons I have taken through the years (breathing, support, and posture). I am hoping a good DVD lesson would help the kids as players and me as the home instructor.

-in the vocal vein, I tell the kids to sing through their horns (and I sing out their lessons). Well, I saw a post either here or elsewhere that discussed, in passing, the application of vocal techniques to trumpet, something about forming vowel sounds to create good tongue and throat techniques (or something like that). Can anyone help me in understanding what the gist of what that thread was referring to? It seems like a “natural” approach that might be something I could understand and pass on.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. stevebtx

stevebtx Piano User

Jan 18, 2005
    I haven't seen either of the DVD's that I know about in much detail but there are at least two out there. One is by Burt Truax and maybe more on the elementary/fundamental side. The other is by Warren Vache and has some info on improvisation along with the basics. I'm pretty sure you can find links with some samples available if you go off and google these names alond with trumpet DVD instruction.

Burt is a classical player who had a stint with the Dallas Symphony a while ago. Warren is a fantastic jazz player who focuses on the more lyrical, traditional side and is primarily a cornet player.

Both are pretty nice guys in my opinion.

Good Luck,
    Steve

3. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    I have collected DVDs (prior to that VHS) of trumpet instructions for years. I have the two mentioned plus several others.

So far, I have not seen one that is really good when it comes to doing a serious job as "an instructor".

I'm sure most of the DVDs will be used only once or twice. This has mostly to do with the visual part of the medium (picture is the "winner" on DVD - sound is the "looser")

On the other hand I have some CDs that I use every day. The one I use most is this: 20 minute Warm-Up Routine

(I also alternate using the "15 Minute Warm-Up Routine")

Why?

Music is about sound. On DVD the picture take over - but on CD you use your ear and listen (nothing to watch).

It can be good to get Bert's DVD and see his instructions (how to hold, etc. etc.), but if you also get the "Warm-Up Routine", you will have something that will work for a much longer time.

Good luck!

Ole

P.S.
    There is one DVD that I have used a lot. The Breathing Gym, by Patric Sheridan and Sam Pilafian:
    The Breathing Gym

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Paul,
    post your general area. Maybe we have a qualified TMer not too far away! Even one lesson a month "further" away is much better than DIY. I would hate to see Gus develop a bad habit that would slow him down in a year or two.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f146/multimedia-trumpet-courses-approach-methods-32911.html

The Trumpet playing multimedia course is fantastic, but I doubt if it is still available on the internet. In addition it was recorded on audio-video tape, when I bought my copy. On my copy the email for contact is [email protected]. At the time it was Anthony Parsons himself who was selling them and I went to his house in London to get my copy. It covers all the basics in very compressed fashion. It includes a video tape with few very short lessons, audio tape with the music and accompaniments +book. Good luck

6. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    rowuk has a very important point.

A good start with a teacher is much better and more important (as you said yourself) than using multimedia as a substitute!!!

Ole

7. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
  8. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    It depends on your needs.
    For technical issues, Jerry Callet is very helpful
    MASTER SUPERCHOPS
    Best wishes !!!

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Nothing against "super chops". But lets save that for a bit down the road.

10. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I picked up The United States Army Field Band "A Trumpeter's Resource" at the IAJE last year. It is very good, and you can usually get any military media free as long as you order them as an educator with school letterhead on your correspondence.

Also "Trumpet Secrets Revealed" by John Thomas is also excellent.

Pete