E & B actual pitch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shezza, Sep 11, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Friend

Nov 27, 2010
    Arnold Notts.
    Hi all, as a newbie to the Trumpet I can get a few tunes out of it and am quite proud of that, and I also know that it is a transpose instrument. But on my Reference Fingering Chart all the " As read notes" are there along with the actual pitch for piano. Apart for the actual pitch for B & E
    So I suppose what I am asking is what is the fingering for a B & E actual piano pitch...........Pete.

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    B on piano is C# on trumpet fingered 1st & 2nd valves down. E on piano is F# on trumpet 2nd valve down.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Concert B below the staff is fingered 123, in the staff, 12. Concert E below the staff is 123, in the staff, 2.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    And E (top space on staff) is open (no valves).

5. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Pete,,

Also, sure you know this - As long as you are playing solo with no piano, you can actually just play the piano notes as they are-without transposing. It will sound 1 full tone lower than the piano. It is when you play with piano accomanying you that you will need to transpose.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Steve, He was asking about the concert E fingering which is our F# on trumpet. I know that you know this man, but, the poster is very new and might get confused. To help the poster a little bit I would add that we trumpet players rarely have to play a piece that is not transposed for us. A lot of churches have all the hymns already transposed for Bb trumpets. It's not easy for trumpet players to play fast or complicated pieces that we have to transpose on the fly.

7. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Correct. I was trying to let him know that if he is just wanting to practice reading out of a hymnal then he could play it as written and not worry about transposing. So what lucky denominations have these transposed hymnals? They make this poor old United Methodist Church guy transpose it by sight.

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Come to think of it...it was the Baptist churches that had the hymnals transposed for all the instruments. Should be Methodists though...the Wesley brothers and their love for music. They purchase their music products from some of the same places. We just just joined Apex United Methodist too. Dag, what have I got myself into ?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The German tradition is for the trumpeters in the Lutheran/Evangelical Posaunenchor to learn at concert pitch--that way they won't be tempted to play in the town band (beer-guzzling swine) and guzzle beer with upstanding Lutheran/Evangelical Christians instead.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Why don't we just play in the concert key and have the organist push their little switch to transpose for the trumpet in Bb. Bieren fur alles !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011