E-mail "stamps?"

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trpguyy, Mar 7, 2004.

1. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Leave it to Gates to come up with a way to make something once free now cost something. MSFT was declared a monopoly. I'll bet he will be glad to sell email "stamps." UNIX and Mac users need not apply.

Geez, if you want to get rid of junk mail, get a filter. I know it doesn't get everything, but I get one or two a day (down from 50 or so a day).

I would be more impressed if Gates said MSFT was coming out with a new way to filter junk email and was giving it away because half the world has bought DOS or Windows at least once or 10 times in their lives.

Stamps have not stopped postal junk mail. I still get more junk mail than real mail everyday. Email stamps would just make spammers legit. We are MSFT, give us all your money.

And some of this is still the price we pay for free speech. It is the First Amendment for a reason. I have a delete key and I know how to use it! But other than that, I don't really have an opinion :roll:

M&C

3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    My question is...what if someone can't solve the puzzle??? :cry:

4. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Am I missing something? What puzzle?

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I seem to recall that way back in history, "Income tax" was a "temporary war measure". Debit cards were "free". When you wanted to pay for something with YOUR money you wrote a cheque which was cashed at NO CHARGE.

$0.01 per email? HA! Only until the public has come to accept it and then watch the old ratchet effect take hold. What is needed is to hunt down these social misfits who strew this garbage about and lock some of them up... in work gangs cleaning highways or parks or city streets. Or find out who is paying for the email garbage to be sent out and stop THEM.

Without income, the mass mailers will stop pretty darn fast.

6. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    On the bright side, faxes might come back in style? Does anyone even remember those anymore? I remember when the fax was THE THING to send paper. Is it classified with snail mail now?

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is because a law was passed against FAX spamming. It was ruled upon too! Because a FAX machine cost the receiver money (ink, paper, etc.) it was ruled to be illegal and not free speech.

As such, advertisements almost died on FAX machines. Plus ... long distance phone calls cost $$ and email attachments work just as well and are not as expensive (unless Gates gets his way).

M&C