Eager to get back into it; the beauty of duets!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Aug 30, 2006.

1. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Well, tonight I had my first lesson in three weeks. I'd almost forgotten how good it felt to play duets! It's also fun when you have two (or more) horns playing the same melody lines and the harmonics start to come out. When the doors and windows begin to rattle, you know you've crossed over to the dark side!!

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah there really is something that is just magic about it.

We were playing Christmas duets that about every 12 measures or so swap parts. So you both end up playing melody and harmony. This was fun but no where near the fun I have when I play with Alex.

Alex and I after concluding a lesson will sometimes play Bach Chorals and man is that an expirence! When we land a perfect 5th apart we'll get that buzzing, ringing, whatever you want to call it. That is some very cool stuff.

I have a lesson scheduled when she returns from the U.K. Can't wait....[​IMG]

3. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Duets

For over 15 years my best friend (now passes away) and I met each Sunday evening to read duets. We went through all the standard collections such as Amsdens, Voxman, Arban etc. and started purchasing from Robert King any collections we could find. As we usually played for a couple of hours, we went through them (reading - not perfecting) fairly quickly. We each got different collections at different times so we didn't duplicate each other too much. We ended up with a rather large duet book collection between us and since his passing 14 years ago, his music collection was given to me by his widow including the duet books. It is rather large (probably 80 or so different books) and they range from very fine duets suitable for performance to some that are good for sight reading skills but not much else.

When we got through them we started over again transposing to different keys with different keyed trumpets. This was an additional challenge.

I miss doing duets regularly like this but I do play a duet each week with each of my private students and get together with friends and colleagues whenever schedules permit to do a reading session.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    The great thing about playing duets is what you learn. You can really learn to play in tune; to match your sound to another player; and to color your sound---in short you learn how to listen! Learning to do this you figure out that much of what we do, soundwise, is mental. When I'm matching my sound with my partners I'm not thinking 'I'm sharp, so I have to relax my embochure .008 of a millimeter'.....no, my ears 'hear' that there is a problem and my brain tells my chops what is needed to do far faster than I could ever think. This is a skill that you learn and that gets easier with time. I've been playing duets with my teacher now for about eight months and I can usually match my sound to his very well. And that makes playing duets fun!

Bill, sounds like you have a great library to work from. My teacher is also a university prof. so he also has a huge library to play from. What's interesting is to see how different periods of time (Baroque, Romance etc.) had their affect on how duets were written and the way they sound.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Neither can she:D

Be warned, she will be wanting to play the new toys!

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    And what's wrong with that???

Cheers!

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    You might start to want one

(or have to pay a penalty)

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Too late.....

I've wanted one ever since I had a chance to play her "C" after ITG....

Sadly I don't have the financial means right now to get one.

Can't wait till later on today....

I guess after this lesson photo's of me in "Pink" hair will emerge out here.

Beware..... Beware......
    [​IMG]