Ear Training Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by koburd, Jun 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. koburd

koburd New Friend

Feb 1, 2014
    New Mexico
    I've heard from many people that most musicians love theory and hate ear training or vice versa. I have to say that I am in the music theory camp. I just don't seem to grasp what is going on in ear training, I guess it just doesn't click for me. What are some of y'all's suggestions for improving my ear? Any apps that you all find work for you?

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Singing with a choir worked for me.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tuning intervals with friends, listening for the resultant tones and playing my mouthpiece, checking it often against the piano.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I used the piano ... sing it .. play it.. sing it.
    I would identify really strong commercial intervals to start out ... West Side Story Maria .. first 2 notes in Maria is a tri tone ... Here Comes the Bride Here Comes is a perfect fourth and so on.

5. koburd

koburd New Friend

Feb 1, 2014
    New Mexico
    My only hope with interval ID has come from a strategy like this. I have to listen for those familiar tunes. And to gunshowtickets, I do sing often and fairly in tune I might add with a choir and I seem to hear those harmonies very well, but out me in a classroom and ask me to identify everything I hear, I'm lost.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    There was a Free Course at Berklee - Developing your Musiicianship. It was good, and made you work on ear training in a sensible manner. Maybe try it

Course Syllabus

Lesson 1: Major Scale

Defining Harmony, Ear Training, and Intervals; Constructing and Singing the Major Scale; Major 2nd and Major 3rd Intervals; Finding the Tonal Center

Lesson 2: Major and Minor Triads

Review; Perfect 4th and Perfect 5th Intervals; Building Major and Minor Triads; the I IV V Chord Progression

Lesson 3: Minor Pentatonic Scale

Review; Major 6th and Major 7th Intervals; Building and Singing the Minor Pentatonic Scale

Lesson 4: Major and Dominant Seventh Chords

Review; Building Major and Dominant Seventh Chords; Blues Progression

Lesson 5: Song Form

Review; 7-3-5 Chord Voicings; 4/4 and 3/4 Time Signatures; Blues and AABA Song Forms; Chord Sheets

Lesson 6: Review

Review of All Material; Composing a Blues Riff Tune Using the Minor Pentatonic Scale

Recommended Background

The ability to play an instrument is helpful but not required. You should have a passion for music and a strong interest in developing your understanding of music and ability to create it.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Play the note on a piano and match it with your horn over and over and over until you are confident that you are nailing the pitch every time. That is what has helped me. My upper register was the hardest for me because I couldn't hear the note I wanted in my head

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Trying to match the tuning of a piano caused me a great deal of needless anguish when I was a teenager. Especially with the 5th harmonics. They play so dreadfully out of tune and you just end up chasing your tail.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Now that I think of it, transcribing songs for a band I use to play in probably did the most to improve my ear to paper skills.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Transcription is my worst weakness!